Michael Jackson Books

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin58

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got started in homebrewing before the internet was a thing and the liquor store that sold homebrew supplies didn't have a large selection of books for sale (The Joy Of Homebrewing was it). So by the time I learned of Michael Jackson he had passed and was already being shown to be wrong on several points that he wrote about. As a result I dismissed his work as being out of date with current information.

Lately however I would like to learn more about his work and my question is which of his books would be the one or two best to start with?

The World Guide to Beer and The New World Guide to Beer were very influential, back in the day. Many believe The World Guide to Beer is what started the whole concept of beer styles.

He had a TV series: The Beer Hunter, that is very, very good, if you can find any copies of it.

what would these wrong "points" be? To toss that out there and not provide specifics?

Beer is an art form, not a science. No 2 palates are the same.

So, you will simply dismiss him?

The World Guide to Beer and The New World Guide to Beer were very influential, back in the day. Many believe The World Guide to Beer is what started the whole concept of beer styles.

He had a TV series: The Beer Hunter, that is very, very good, if you can find any copies of it.

They're on YouTube.

what would these wrong "points" be? To toss that out there and not provide specifics?

I intentionally did not mention specifics because of his sacred cow status among many brewers and beer aficionados and did not want to plow ground that has already been gone over. And I'm not going to name those writers who have pointed out Jackson's historical mistakes and miscategorizing of some styles to avoid this thread turning into a war of the authors. What is not being argued is that Michael Jackson was a pioneer. He discovered things much of the world had no knowledge of and attempted to make sense of it all for the rest of us. As is often the case with such pioneers is something called "creative destruction" where following generations unearth new information that changes the landscape.

I just want to know what books you recommend.

what would these wrong "points" be? To toss that out there anot provide specifics?

This article has a few “wrong points” although they seem somewhat trivial from here:
https://www.beeradvocate.com/articl...nter-looking-back-on-michael-jacksons-legacy/
For books to recommend, I only have one, the Beer Companion, which I have used from time to time as a reference. The books are available used and are cheap enough, I’d say get them all and come back with your favorites.
:mug:

Last edited:

It's on YouTube, use a vpn to pretend you aren't in UK.

Latest posts

Back