Using Mint: To chop it up or leave it whole?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eschatz

Reaction score
That's the question. I dryhopped in the secondary with 1 oz of whole spearmint leaves and it left behind a great aroma with little to no flavor other than a lingering at the finish. I would like something more prominent and I don't like the extract route. So I'm dryhopping in the keg with a mesh tea ball. I didn't get much flavor from the mint the first time. Should I chop it up this time? The stout that it's going into is a chocolate stout so I need it to cut a little more.

Anyone know if chopping it up will help it extract flavor?

Chopping should release the oils quite a bit more. Have you considered steeping the leaves into a tea and adding that? You could also do a tincture with a little vodka but it would take a couple weeks.

I would cut the leaves a few times, not chop them to bits. You will release more oils as Nurmey said. I would not make a tea. Cooking or even warming the mint will change the fresh flavor dramatically.

I think "Dry hopping" in the keg, or secondary, is the way to go. But chop it once or twice.

My real question is: Why are you making a chocolate mint beer???:p

My real question is: Why are you making a chocolate mint beer???:p
Thanks for the help everybody. I think I'll just cut them a few times like Sean said.

As for the beer. Why wouldn't you make one?! :D I've been tasting it and I'm really pumped about it. Obviously the flavors pair really well. I've always love Mint/Choc things so I figured why not. I'm thinking it'll be a good Xmas beer. :mug:

I made a chocolate mint stout with the fresh spearmint leaves in the boil. I also added a mint lifesaver, adapted the recipe from Radical Brewing.

Maybe try adding a lifesaver...

Bigelow Tea and 4oz of Vodka? Steep for a few hours, then add to taste?

Tea + alcohol (rum in this case) worked really well for Rev JC's Spiced Mild. He used the "Sugar Plum" tea (rose hips, ginger, etc) and it made the top 10 at our winter beer competition. (We haven't tasted it yet, though, he and I both kegged our beers 2 days before turning them in! :p )

Back