Using inverted cane sugar in Apfelwein?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pscranton

Reaction score
Hi, sorry first post with a quick question. Edwort's original recipe called for dextrose as the primary source of sugar in the wine and there have been a whole slew of threads on experimenting with his original recipe many of which debating corn vs cane sugar. From those forums many have said that cane sugar will impart a "cidery" flavor or acetaldehyde. If you were to invert cane sugar, making simple syrup, and split it into its respective simpler sugars, fructose and dextrose (I believe, not 100% positive) would you avoid these off flavors and the strain on the yeast? Apfelwein is already stressful on yeast so I'm trying to make their job as easy as possible and try and reduce my time in the carboy.

I have seen conversations on inverting sugar and how it should help. Unfortunately, I have never tried it myself. There's really only one way to find out. Give it a shot and report any findings you might have. Hopefully it will help out anyone who tries it in the future.

Latest posts

Back