Using glass cover from 2 gallon jar for yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anico4704

Reaction score
I only have a 2 litre flask, and I needed a bigger jug to step up starters in. I ran across this bad boy at Walmart today for $10

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Anchor-Hocking-Heritage-Hill-2-Gal-Jar-with-Lid/16486707

I was wondering if just leaving the glass cover on would be sufficient, it fits quite loosely letting a lot of air in. Or if I should cover it with aluminum foil? Foil fits perfect over this as well. The only concern with leaving just the cover on is that it lets too much in possibly.

I think it would work fine. Assuming you are starting this from a smaller culture, the yeast should grow quick. Positive pressure should help keep it clean. It's only as cultures slow down that you worry about contamination. So I it's just for starters, you should be good to go

Never hurts to cover w foil, but I don't think it would b necessary.

Good luck

Looks great, and should do the job well!

Leave the lid on, the opening is way wider than the narrow neck of an erlenmeyer. Sanitize everything really well, and again, when opening the lid. Spray bottle of Starsan.

These glass jars cannot endure any thermal shock, or high heat, so keep that in mind.

Looks like a giant humador to me. Maybe switch to sanitized foil to cover it when fermentation starts slowing down.

I know this is an old thread, but how did your 2 gallon
jar work out. I picked one up to do the same large starter and then
saw your post.

Latest posts

Back