using gelatin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmyjoe

Reaction score
I have a beer that has been in the secondary for 2 weeks. The beer is pretty cloudy was wondering if gelatin would clear it up or is it too late? The beer is a pale ale in very cloudy

Definitely not too late. My Pale Ale with Bells yeast was very cloudy in the keg until it sat cold for ~ 3 weeks or so.

Next was a Two Hearted clone with the same yeast, so I crashed it for a day, added gelatin, and bottled 2 days later. Just drank my first one after only 2 weeks of carbing and 2 days in the fridge. Remarkably clear and LOTS of yeast in the bottom of the bottle. I was initially worried when I saw all that sediment, but it stuck like glue when I carefully poured it out. Go for it!

Yes it will help.

1. Chill the beer under 40*. Gelatin works best when the beer is cold(this can be done in the keg.)
2. Measure out 1/2-2/3 cup of water, stir in 1 teaspoon of gelatin. I use my thermometer to stir
3 Heat the mixture 15sec at a time in microwave safe dish(Pyrex measuring cups are great for this) in the microwave. Stir every 15sec, and repeat until you hit 150* (140-160 is fine, don't go over 170*)
4. Pour gelatin water mixture into cold beer, and swirl gently to mix.
5. Wait 1-2 days. The beer will drop very clear

Back