using cyro tubes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pixelhussar

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I ordered some cyro tubes from here: http://www.brouwland.com/en/

I expected them to attach a detailed manual, but there were only a sheet describing the steps how to add yeasts to the tube and remove the excess preservative fluid with a sterile pipette.

That's OK, but can I put the tubes into the freezer immediately after filling them? Or are they supposed to cool gradually?

Do you have any other tips to use cyro tubes successfully?

Thanks!

Screen shot 2012-12-16 at 9.23.52 PM.png

Unless you have a way to freeze them very quickly (powdered dry ice or LN2) you should just toss them into the freezer. You're using glycerol, right?

They look like lab cryovials to me. If you're using them to preserve human cells - I've worked with blood before - then you put your cells in a cryoprotectant and cool gradually, hoping for a 1oC drop per minute. There are special containers containing isopropyl alcohol ('Mr Frosty') for that purpose. Cool slowly to -80 and either store at -80 or move to LN2 is standard. When defrosting, common wisdom is to thaw fast and get them out of the cryoprotectant as fast as possible, because that stuff is probably toxic.

I work in a lab using human cells, that's standard for blood samples - how much of that is necessary for non-mammalian cells is anyone's guess! Slow cooling is probably necessary to prevent formation of large ice crystals, that's what ****s up the viability and that's what the cryoprotectant tries to stop.

I work in a lab for protein purification, our -80C samples are thrown directly in the freezer. We step it from a -20C to -80C in the event the sample is large enough that it could drastically reduce the overall temperature of the freezer.

Regarding the preservative, I have no idea. I would find some that don't have preservative in them.

I work in a lab too where we use cryovials. It's best to make sure that if you're using glycerol ( be sure it's sterile also!) that it's at least 15% final volume to prevent any cellular membrane damage. As everyone has said, be sure to do a slow freeze and then have it placed in -80C or liquid nitrogen. Be sure to make sure you thaw quickly because it is toxic. However, my glycerol stocks we usually just scrape it with a micropipette tip( while it's frozen and then place it back in the freezer)and make a streak with that and culture up from there.

Back