Using Cooper's Carb Drops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThirdGen

Reaction score
I was going to buy a bottling bucket this week, but then I came across these tablets (someone I know who brews loves them). Now my plan is, rather than spend my money on a bottling bucket, I can spend it on a secondary carboy!

If I'm thinking correctly, I can bottle straight from my secondary carboy into my 12oz bottles after adding a Cooper's carbonation drop to each bottle. Is this right, or would I still need to transfer from secondary-->another bucket before adding to my bottles? Thanks!

You got it right. I bottle straight from the primary. Pop in a Carb Drop, cap it and done. I've never even owned a bottling bucket.

Excellent! This seems so much easier. Now, to go blow more money on brewing equipment. :mug:

I've never used them, but I would suggest making sure you turn the bottle during conditioning/carbing, just to be sure that the sugars diffuse fully. Also, when bottling from the primary, be sure you don't suck up a bunch of junk off the bottom if you are worried about clarity. Other than that, enjoy!

Thanks Shooter, I've heard the same thing. Munton's apparently leaves particulate matter in the beer that can float on the top, so it's not even something you could leave in the bottle with a proper pour.

Thanks Shooter, I've heard the same thing. Munton's apparently leaves particulate matter in the beer that can float on the top, so it's not even something you could leave in the bottle with a proper pour.

This is true, and the occasional floaties are annoying but don't have any taste. The one advantage Munton's has is they allow you to adjust carbonation to style. I do use Munton's for bottling low-carbonation styles like Milds, etc.

Sometimes when I'm to lazy to rack my beer I just take a funnel and put it in the bottle and put a half teaspoon of dextrose in each bottle. after its filled I cap it and give it a shake to dissolve. Good to go!

I've used them before. They seem to work alright, but in the long run, its cheaper to buy a bottling bucket and buy bulk corn sugar. Carb drops are usually more expensive, and don't bottle as many beers per pack. Not sure if your using liquid drops, our the round pill shaped tabs, but if you are using tabs, I would suggest putting the tabs in the bottle first and racking your beer on top of them. Less splashing, and less likely to overfill the bottle.

I have used them with a couple batches. They are not cheap @ approx $4.25 or so a pack you can get a bottling bucket and pay for it with just two batches. I will keep some on hand but will bulk prime moving forward. You have the ability to adjust the amount of sugar to give more or less carbonation when bulk priming......................not an option with the coopers drops.

I use them to make a 6pack of each of the brews I keg.

I have the cobra tap thing and a cartridge carbonator thing...I fill the kegs connect my fillers and do up a 6'er.

I use those cartridges to carb off a new keg anyway as I hate dragging the one in the kegerator out to carb off the O2 in a new keg.

Back