Using Charcoal park grill with banjo burner.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyhawkins9

Reaction score
Short Story: Anyone use a banjo burner to grill on? If so, any tips on keeping the food from dripping on to it besides tinfoil cover with each hole poked through?

Longer-ish Story
As I was growing up in Lansing MI, my house was 100% DIY. My dad and I had installed a natural gas line to the outside and ran our grill off of that. Several years later, I live down in Nashville, TN. We got a propane grill at out apartment, but then found out its a huge fine and have had to move it to a storage unit. We have a park style box grill for charcoal, and don't get me wrong, I enjoy the taste and process of charcoal grilling. HOWEVER, after having the instant on, adjustable heat allows me to grill more than once ever month. We're not allowed to store gas grills on our patios because that's just too tempting for certain derelicts (including me) to roast a steak real quick and not get caught. I've looked at tailgate grills, but after research and finding that the weber 200Q is the one for me, at a whopping 200 bucks, that will have to wait. I'm thinking I could just toss a standalone burner from a banjo in the bottom of the park grill and voila! a high powered gas grill. The burner is a little easier to store inside than a full out rig.

Anyone got insight on this? PSI recommendations? BTUs?

I've heard good things about these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009RRQLBO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 -- they help focus the heat to the cooking rails and at the same time should disperse the heat of a single point burner across the cooking surface.

I'd think a banjo burner might be overkill, though. Something smaller like this: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/brewing-equipment/burners-1/cast-burner-55000-btu.html might work better, be easier to store, and save a few bucks. One of these burners can bring ~10 gal of water to a boil; do you really need a banjo that could do so for 20 gal?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back