My Banjo Burner Natural Gas Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tazeller

Reaction score
I've decided to give a detailed explanation of how I went about converting my banjo burner from propane to NG...it took me a good bit of tinkering and experimentation because of the relative paucity of information available online, so hopefully this will help you experiment and tinker less.

It also was more expensive than I thought it would be, so if you read this and decide not to make the conversion, you're welcome. :)

I'll list the parts I used (I won't list all the parts I bought and had to take back because they didn't work or weren't the right size, etc.)

I'll also post some pictures of the completed project.

1 - Banjo burner

1 - 8 foot length of 0.5 Inch ID Low Pressure Appliance Hose with a 0.5 inch Model 4 plug on one end and a 0.5 inch Female SAE gas flare swivel fitting on the other end. ($45.95 - buy this from Tejas Smokers)

1 - Low Pressure Quick Disconnect 0.5 inch ID x Model 4 Female Socket x 0.5 inch Female NPT ($39.95 - also buy this from Tejas Smokers - free shipping!)

1 - 3/4" MIP x 1/2" MIP hex nipple ($5.83 - buy this from www.fittingsandmore.com)

1 -1/2" male FLARE X 3/8" Female FLARE Adapter ($6.78 - www.fittingsandmore.com - plus $7.50 UPS shipping)

1 - Blichmann Natural Gas Conversion Kit ($14.99 at Great Fermentations + shipping) - this contains a natural gas orifice and a needle valve. Yes, the Blichmann orifice fits the banjo burner. Yes, you can drill out your propane orifice but then you can't convert back to propane, and the Blichmann one fits perfectly.

1 - gas line ( I called the gas company and they were out in 2-3 days and put a 3/4" female MIP outlet with shutoff valve in my garage. ($120 - or at least that's what they tell me, haven't seen the bill yet.) The gas guy was the one who told me that I needed AT LEAST a 1/2" hose to get the BTUs I wanted. The Tejas Smokers site has 1/2" and 3/4" hose. The 3/4" hose is more expensive, and is rated at 140,000+ BTUs, more than I need...so I went with the 1/2" hose.

OK, so...

A) put the 3/4" to 1/2" reducing nipple on the gas line.
B) put the female quick disconnect on the gas line.
C) take off the propane orifice from your banjo burner.
D) put the new gas orifice in place of the old one. Don't overtighten.
E) put the needle valve on the gas orifice.
F) put the flare adapter onto the needle valve.
G) put your 1/2" hose onto the adapter (1/2" female to 1/2" male flare)
H) the other end of your hose is a male quick disconnect. Hook that up to your gas line complete with female quick disconnect and you're ready to fire up your new NG banjo burner.

Now for the pics (sorry they're sideways):

banjo burner 5.jpg

banjo burner 4.jpg
my gas line with hex nipple reducer and quick disconnect attached.

banjo burner 3.jpg
the banjo burner with hose attached.

banjo burner 2.jpg
close-up of hose attachment to burner - the gas orifice goes first, then needle valve, then flare adapter, then hose.

banjo burner 1.jpg
the hose attached to the quick disconnect.

Total for the project was ~$245, not including the cost of the banjo burner (yikes). Quite a bit more than I expected, but I had to place a gas line in my garage, and from what I'm told, there's no way to get around having to buy an expensive hose. Don't go with the 3/8" grill hose from your local hardware store, it will starve your banjo burner.

Hope this helps. I may calculate the actual BTUs and if so, I will update with my output...I'm brewing a Boston Lager clone in a few days.

Primary: Dubbel Trubbel
Keg: nothing currently
Bottled: Royal Funky Blonde Ale, All Hopped Up IPA, Nighthawk 5708 Imperial Stout, Zeller Altbier, Munich Dunkel, Olde Friendship Barleywine.

Thanks for the post I have most of the equipment on hand just haven't purchased the 1/2" hose. By any chance did the person from the gas company tell you the gas line pressure at your house? I'm thinking I'll have to have them adjust my regulator, my pressure is barely enough to run the gas logs in my fire place.

I just added some NG outlets to build a NG stand from scratch, so thanks for this!

As far as measuring pressure, it is extremely easy. Get a decent size pitcher or bucket (you know you have a bucket...), then fill it up with water to over a foot. Take your gas line, and any size will work for this, put it down to the bottom of the bucket and do the same with a tape measure. Note the height of the water on hth tape measure, then pull them both up slowly until you start getting bubbles. However much you raise the tape measure will give you the pressure in water column (maximum amount of water pressure that will allow gas to escape). Then you can look that up on any number of charts to convert to PSI. Mine, for example, was 7" of WC (water was at like 11 1/2" and I had to raise it 4 1/2") when I started getting bubbles) which converts to .25 PSI.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

The gas guy told me my pressure, and your gas guy can probably tell you yours...mine was around 7 inches of water if I remember right.

But the bucket of water trick sounds fun too.

Back