Using natural gas with a banjo burner? hose size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aangel

Reaction score
I have the big 220k BTU banjo burner. I also have the Blichmann natural gas conversion kit (needle valve + the NG-sized orifice). What I need to buy, asap, is an appropriate natural gas hose to connect with my house's outdoor line.

From what I've read there are a few different sizes of NG hose, and the inner diameter affects the BTU's possible. 3/8", the most common size, limits you to an absurd 60k btu/h. It's not like I want the full 220k, but still limiting me to 1/4 the rated btu is insane.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe the disconnect on my outdoor gas line is a 3/8 quick disconnect, as I have a 2-burner natural gas bbq normally attached to it. Does anyone know if the disconnect sizes are the same for natural gas, and it's just the hose ID that matters?

Thanks!

You could just go to your local big box, check out some of the appliance hoses with quick disconnects here:

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Heating-...nnectors-Gas-Fittings-Connectors/N-5yc1vZc4n5

You'll see them rated up to 100k (and those ratings can be based on either hose vlume or excess flow cutoff) . And the hose internal size matters, but it will likely be more than your orifice size, so volume isn't the thing that matters most, it is pressure. You'll want to limit hose length, bends, etc to maximize that.

You could just go to your local big box, check out some of the appliance hoses with quick disconnects here:

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Heating-...nnectors-Gas-Fittings-Connectors/N-5yc1vZc4n5

You'll see them rated up to 100k (and those ratings can be based on either hose vlume or excess flow cutoff) . And the hose internal size matters, but it will likely be more than your orifice size, so volume isn't the thing that matters most, it is pressure. You'll want to limit hose length, bends, etc to maximize that.

It looks like those hoses are FIP not QD, which is unfortunate. It seems that all the different ID size connectors have different outer diameters as well for the QD, so I'm going to have to measure the pipe QD and go from there.

In the meantime, the wort I mashed yesterday's in a sealed bucket outside. Figured my chance of contamination, preboil, frozen, was minimal :)

I ended up ripping the 3/8 NG hose out of my bbq (thread sealed with epoxy, what a pain to wrench off!) and tested it - works fine. My monster propane burner is now more of an average natural gas burner (at full flow, I get a rolling boil on 7gal when it's -10c outside). But hey - it works!

Thanks everyone.

Latest posts

Back