using beer gas for stout and lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RRL

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Ive been getting too many mixed opinions on this matter when searching and asking around.

Can I use beer gas to push a stout AND a lager that I would usually just push with c02.

The kegs are already carbed as I purchase them from Microbreweries.

Or will there be a change in flavor / carbonation in the lager if I used a beer gas to push it.

Thanks!

You might need to provide more info. I'm assuming the stout is intended to be served on nitro, but the lager is not, correct? What kinds of faucets are you using? Two regulators or one, and what serving pressure(s). You can use a blend of CO2 and nitro to push non-nitro beers, but that's usually only done for long runs where the beer would overcarb if pushing with straight CO2. It also uses a different ratio for the CO2/N2 blend than beergas used for nitro beers. Assuming you're pushing the lager that's not supposed to be a nitro beer with beergas at 12-ish PSI over a normal length run, you'll see the carb level drop over the period it takes to finish the keg.

Yes thats correct.

I will have a nitro stout with a nitro stout tap.

The lager is usually pushed with straight CO2 10ft lines @ 12PSI.

I have a primary tapwrite and secondeary tapwrite regulator. the primary is rated at a higher tolerance and can be used to push the needed 20-30psi for a nitro stout.

I am unsure about the secondary I have if it can handle the beer gas mix but I do have a spare primary I could connect to the other primary which would work.

But yea anyways you seemed to have answered my question.

Carb level will drop overtime as the 12psi setting is not high enough for the amount of Co2 thats in the beer gas.

Was hoping to save a couple bucks vs buying 2 co2 tanks (one straight co2 and the other beer gas) but not too big of a deal seeing I got everything on hand ready to go other then the tank.

Thanks guys!

thanks for the link but im over in Canada so free shipping doesn't apply sadly.. either way a local brew store here sells them for 89.99 (ends up about the same price as paying 62.44 USD by the time you add in our awesome oh so valuable monopoly money lol)

Back