first time using beer gas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snstriper

Reaction score
Hey guys I just brewed a boddington style beer that will be dispensed using a stout faucet. I'm getting ready to keg it and I'm not quite sure how to carbonate it. do I carbonate it with co2 first and then switch to beer gas? and what psi do i set it?

Yes, CO2 first, but not much! Grab a carbonation chart and shoot for 1 volume ... or certainly under 1.5. It helps if the beer is not too cold. Then switch to beer gas at 30-35 psi. My experience is that it takes about a day on beer gas until the pours are good.

Agree with ^that^. I've been dispensing an imperial stout on 70/30 beer gas at 35 psi through a dedicated stout faucet for nigh on a decade now and found carbonating on CO2 to a mere 1.2 volumes works best. To carbonate that low it's easiest to do at "cellar" or even room temperature, as trying to do it cold requires a sub-1psi pressure setting which is hard to accomplish...

Cheers!

Back