Concentrate/juice from cider apples?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ike

nOob for life
Reaction score
Googling around a bit didn't give me any leads, so:

Anybody have a source for a concentrate (preferred) or juice from honest to goodness cider apples? I'm looking for something in the bittersharp range; something with a good belt of tannins and acidity that I can use in small quantities to bump up the tannin content in my storebought-juice-based ciders. I say concentrate is preferred as it will keep longer and be easier to ship.

I know a lot of folks use black tea; I'm going to be testing that but as I sit here sipping a cup of black tea I DO get a bit of astringency and some interesting aroma characteristics but it's not what we get from a really tannic farmhouse style cider. If nothing else presents itself, I know wine tannins are available at the LHBS, but again that seems just far enough away from the real thing that I'd avoid it if the real thing was easily available.

Thanks to all!

Last edited:
White wine tannin and malic acid. There is no concentrate or store bought juice that's ideal for hard cider, we have to add our own adjuncts to compensate. Red wine tannin will darken the cider so be aware of that.

Latest posts

Back