Used moldy LME, now what

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank-Likes-Beer

Reaction score
So I was prepping to brew today. It's a LME kit from AHB I got in late September. I soaked the LME tub in hot water to loosen it up. I popped the lid, dumped it into my boil kettle, and I'm bringing up to a boil right now. Well, during clean up, I look in the tub and there appears to be mold on the inside of the LME container. :(

Should I just dump it now or will an hour boil kill anything in there? It didn't smell bad and even tasted good ...I licked some off my fingers before I noticed.

Wow, that sux but since you're brewing it don't dump - let it ferment out and see what you get. Boiling will definitely kill microorganisms and all you stand to lose at this point is time!

Did you happen to take a pic of the inside of the can? I don't use LME so I have know idea but the LME guys will be along shortly to comment on what's "normal" on the inside of the can.

I know almost nothing about the subject of "Botulism", but I thought I'd mention it for someone else to talk about it. Just playing it cautious.

edit: from BYO Magazine:

Before answering this question about malt extract storage I want to remind our readers that there are no safety issues concerning the storage of wort that has been properly canned in a pressure canner. This whole topic began in 2006 when an article was published in the September issue of Brew Your Own describing canning wort using a boiling water bath instead of a pressure canner. Although the topic of botulism was addressed in the original article, Brew Your Own received a reader letter with stronger warnings and this was printed in the November 2006 issue. To sum all of this up, if you want to can wort and use it for yeast starters, go buy yourself a pressure canner and you will be just fine. I have written about the many uses of pressure canners in previous columns and think every serious brewer and cook should have at least one of them!

Now with that out of the way let’s discuss why brewers do not to spend any time at all worrying about the growth of Clostridium botulinum in the malt extract. Malt extract, whether liquid or dry, is concentrated by removing water. One key attribute of food products used to gauge their susceptibility to spoilage is a property known as water activity or AW. Pure water has a water activity of 1.0 and as solids content increases the AW decreases. The definition of AW is not important here, but relates to equilibrium relative humidity. If you want to read more there is a bunch of information about water activity online and in food science books.

At any rate, Clostridium botulinum is not a problem in foods with an AW less than 0.93 because it doesn’t grow. The water activity of liquid malt extract (LME) is somewhere around 0.60 depending on its concentration. Honey has an AW between 0.55 and 0.60, so it stands to reason that liquid malt extract with a similar concentration is going to be in the same range. Dried malt extract has an AW of about 0.20 making it very shelf stable from a microbiological view. You are correct that liquid malt extract is not pressure canned because there is no safety concern requiring it to be.

Molds and yeasts can grow on the surface of containers of liquid malt extract that have been opened. One would figure that if the fungi can grow on the surface they should be able to grow throughout the bulk of the LME, but they don’t. The reason for this is that the AW of foods products is not homogeneous once the package has been opened because water from the air (humidity) changes the AW at the food-air interface. This is why LME can have mold colonies form on the surface. Covering the surface with vodka is one way to keep the surface clean. Another method is to repackage your 15 kilograms of LME in convenient sized portions using zipper storage bags so that the air can be eliminated from the headspace of the bag, keeping the AW homogeneous.

So from a safety stance you can store LME indefinitely, although the quality may change. To be realistic, if you store it in a clean refrigerator that does not contain a lot of smelly food that could impart odors into the LME, the shelf life is likely to be well over a year. If you really want to toss your LME into a freezer because you have more freezer space than refrigerator space you will certainly do no harm to it and will completely eliminate the possibility of any mold growth.

Here's a pic of the container.

mold_near.JPG

Its not out of the ordinary for ANY LME that was bought in September. It's a product susceptible to spoilage. Sept. to Dec. is a long time. Please do not try to drag Austin Homebrew Supply into it.

It'll be fine. I've spooned off the top of a moldy LME (I too learned the hard way) and boiled it right up, and made great beer. Pathogens can't live in beer.

I think that storing LME for a couple of month is going to encourage mold no matter who you bought it from.

Frankly, I'd use it and see what happens. You are going to boil it for along time anyway, so you will kill anything bad. Can't say what it will taste like, but a small bit of mold is not likely to be a big deal.

That's one reason I like DME better. It's usually lighter in color and I can keep it on the shelf until I use it. I am terrible about planning a brewday and then having to put it off for weeks.

For the record, I am not bashing AHBS. The have been my go-to online source and will remain that way.

I am gonna take the suggestions and ride this out. The only thing I have to lose is time and maybe a $12 fermenting bucket. :) This is just some added incentive to get my AG stuff done so I can stop messing with malt extracts.

Thanks all.

Don't toss the bucket even if you think the beer sucks and is infected or whatever. You can just clean it out real well, sanitize it, and move on to your next brew.

Update:

I popped the lid off the fermenter last night (first time) to keg the stout. No signs of infection and the beer smelled and tasted fantastic! :mug:

Back