Small amount of mold in LME. Should I dump the brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pc_trott

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday I started an extract ale kit that I bought from a brew supply store back in November of last year. I steeped the grain, brought the liquid to a boil, then opened the six lb bucket of LME and prepared to dump it in. But surprise, there was a spot of mold on top of the LME. On closer inspection, I found five or six smaller than dime-sized spots of mold growing on drops of LME that had stuck to the bottom of the lid. I debated for a few minutes whether to use it or not, but then remembering reading articles in the newsgroup here that said nothing would grow in beer that could kill you, and I was going to boil the wort for an hour, so wouldn't that take care of any mold spores? So I used a spoon to remove the moldy spot, dumped the rest in and started the boil. Later, when I went to clean the LME bucket, I found a clump of what was obviously mold that looked like it might have been submerged in the LME where I couldn't see it. But in for a penny, in for a pound, so I went through the entire brew process, and today the fermenter is bubbling away like mad.

But I decided to do a search of the forums to see if there was any discussion of mold in the LME. What I found made me think that perhaps I'd better chalk this one up to a learning experience. RPh_Guy, who seems to be one of those folks who knows what he's talking about, posted some responses in one thread on the subject that made me think I might be better off dumping it down the drain.

But as the Cowardly Lion says, there's just one thing I want you to do. Talk me out of it! On the other hand, if it's going to kill me to drink it, I wouldn't mind living a few more years...

Well I bought a couple of pots of LME for adding to a kit I never made and then started using that for my yeast starters.
Last time I went to do that had your issue of some colonies. I scraped them off the top and then boiled the resulting wort mix as usual, pitched and have made a fine starter.
I have stopped using that LME for this purpose now but have continued to use the LME in my porridge and no ill effects yet.

So I wouldn't dump the beer until you have tasted it, there could easily be mould in DME at a microscopic level that you never see and so never worry about it.

I would not use a " contaminated " LME for priming bottles or kegs neat though. Probably safe once boiled.

The temperature vs aging plot is an illustration of a construct that applies to pretty much every form of chemical reaction on our planet: the warmer, the quicker the degradation...

Cheers!

Thanks for the advice, DuncB. Brewn@KopperKat's link contains the following paragraph that is applicable:

"If you do experience minor molding at the top of your extract, you can usually salvage it by simply scraping the top layer off. This is because the mold actually does not grow in the malt, rather in the droplets of water that were released from them extract. Thus, the mold has little effect on your overall brew, but your extract may have been exposed to temperature swings that could change the flavor."

The LME I was using was repackaged at the home brew store from a large barrel into a ~gallon-sized bucket. The lid was sealed with one of those tear-off plastic strips, as well as a strip of clear packing tape. It was shipped to me, and may have experience temperature extremes during shipment, but I've had it stored in my basement where it rarely gets above 62 degrees F.

Back