Used BGE

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfstar

Reaction score
A client of mine, in lieu of cash, is giving me a large Big Green Egg in exchange for working with their dog. It has not been used in a while, but it sounds like they did things right using only the BGE charcoal and starters.

Probably should not bother trying to clean it? That is a question.

What would be a good first meal to try on this thing? Never used a BGE, but in a past career I have extensive culinary experience as a chef in a high end steakhouse. I am looking for recipes that will help me get the feel of temp control and such...

A client of mine, in lieu of cash, is giving me a large Big Green Egg in exchange for working with their dog. It has not been used in a while, but it sounds like they did things right using only the BGE charcoal and starters.

Probably should not bother trying to clean it? That is a question.

What would be a good first meal to try on this thing? Never used a BGE, but in a past career I have extensive culinary experience as a chef in a high end steakhouse. I am looking for recipes that will help me get the feel of temp control and such...

I would run it abit to clean it slightly before using, maybe burn off nastys if it was stored for a long time. If its anything like a smoker you never clean the actually unit only the racks. And if you do clean it never use chemicals, White viniger and warm watter only thing i use and thats it is got cob webs and creasol drips from moisture.

Load it with lump and let it burn wide open for an hour or two. You can probably kiss your gasket goodbye but that's probably a good thing if your running the stock gasket now you have an excuse to replace it.

Agree with above poster.

IMO high heat cooking is much different with the BGE than other grills and cooking methods.

Low and slow is pretty easy and idiot proof, just make sure to pay attention at the start(to get temp where you want it) of the smoke and at the end(as sometimes the temps start to drop)

For low and slow I'd go pork butt, and for med-high heat cooking I'd use a bigger piece of meat like a pork tenderloin for your first foray.

Personally, I would clean it. I would pull the internals out and brush everything down with a wire brush. Also, it would be a good time to see if you need to replace the gasket, copper RTV is a good option. Finally, check the dial thermometer, if it is an older BGE it is not made by Tel-Tru and those sucked...buy a Tel-Tru.

Back