us cocoa powder supposed to completely dissolve in the boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bCash

Reaction score
I've read several threads about adding chocolate and as a result, I put 5 oz of cocoa powder in the boil with five minutes left.
When I transferred to fermenter I noticed a thick chocolaty sludge at the bottom of my brewpot. I assume this was the cocoa.
I also assume that, since it was there, its not going to be in my beer.
Am I right?

Could part of it be cocoa? Sure, but what else is in there? How much particulate, came from the mash tun, into the brew kettle? What flocking agent did you add at the end of the boil? How cool was the wort before you poured it into the fermenter? How long did it take to get to pitching temperature? Did you aggressively stir the last 10 minutes or so?
My point is: there are a lot of questions to be answered by you so we can help you.

Touche

This was a 5 gallon extract brew. I had three hop additions. Totaling 2 oz of hops. I put the hops in mesh bags so very hop crap was sitting on the bottom of the brew pot.

I put in 5 oz of cocoa powder with 5 min left in the boil. I stirred it up until i saw no more chunks or clumps of cocoa. I use a plate chiller so when I turned off the heat it sat for probably two minutes before I began siphoning through the plate chiller to the fermentation vessel. It probably took 10 or 15 minutes to siphon it all out.
The sludge looked like it had a little of the hops that escaped the bags. But I'm pretty sure it was almost all cocoa powder.

It also could be the cocoa powder just darkened a lot of the sludge. I did 8oz in my batch, and didn't notice that, I did sprinkle most of it in though, not dump it in.

Back