Upping the ABV - What do different sweeteners do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnGoatJoe

Reaction score
So, I added enough brown sugar and honey to up the SG by 0.020. It worked well, and I'm looking forward to next years experiments. But my question is this... What do different sweeteners impart on a cider? Are some sweeteners better for preserving the apple flavor? I don't know much about sweeteners, and there are lots available, and I'm wondering what each of them do to the ferment. Note that I'm not asking about back-sweetening, but pre-fermentation sweetening to up the ABV.

Here are some commonly available sweeteners. What do they do? Are there others? Thanks!
  • Granulated table sugar
  • Light brown sugar
  • Dark brown sugar
  • Honey
  • Molasses
  • Maple syrup/sugar
  • Agave

I have added White, Dark and Light brown sugars to FAJC and water. All increased the ABV but none really got where i wanted for flavor.

I have added cider and spices to a mead and have been pleased with the results.

Finally have added FAJC to fresh pressed cider a couple of times and very happy with the flavor. Increased ABV. Nothing extravegant just went from roughly 1.050 to 1.060 OG.

After fermentation I add Agave to increase sweetness.
I'm not sure I can quite describe the flavor but it is subtle and light.

I only use FAJC -- gives extra sugars for ABV increase and appleness 4 taste!

Back