Unsure of which beer to brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew703

Reaction score
I bought the grains for a Munich Helles. Never had one but wanted to try something different than the NE IPA's and APA's I've been brewing.

The wife and I went have a few drinks at a local Mexican restaurant and they have a few different Octoberfest Ales. So I tried the Sierra Nevada Octoberfest. They also had Spaten and a few others.

I must say I didn't like it. Could not finish the entire bottle and my wife hated it. Not sure what I expected but the taste just wasn't good. It was a fresh beer, bottled end of August.

I've never tried a Helles either so now I am not sure what to brew. I would like something smooth and malty, not too hoppy & something my wife would drink. Keep in mind she is an Ultra drinker but she does at least try the beers I brew. She does like Braufessor's Blonde I brewed as well as a Bohemian Pils I brewed early on.

With that said, can the experienced beer gods help and point me in the right direction? I don't want anything that remotely resembles the SN Octoberfest I tried.

This is the Helles I planned on brewing, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=542886.

I could also go with this one, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=576012

She's an Ultra drinker... but are there any craft brews she does like? What non-IPAs and APAs do you like?

I don't think you're plan to do a Helles was a bad one at all. It sounds like it fits the bill for what you're trying to accomplish. That pilsner though, has 5oz of hops and 36 IBUs. I don't think that's going to be a winner for her!

I really struggle to make beers my wife likes. In the end, I've just made some beers other than IPAs and APAs that I love and she hates.

I bought the grains for a Munich Helles. Never had one but wanted to try something different than the NE IPA's and APA's I've been brewing.

The wife and I went have a few drinks at a local Mexican restaurant and they have a few different Octoberfest Ales. So I tried the Sierra Nevada Octoberfest. They also had Spaten and a few others.

I must say I didn't like it. Could not finish the entire bottle and my wife hated it. Not sure what I expected but the taste just wasn't good. It was a fresh beer, bottled end of August.

I've never tried a Helles either so now I am not sure what to brew. I would like something smooth and malty, not too hoppy & something my wife would drink. Keep in mind she is an Ultra drinker but she does at least try the beers I brew. She does like Braufessor's Blonde I brewed as well as a Bohemian Pils I brewed early on.

With that said, can the experienced beer gods help and point me in the right direction? I don't want anything that remotely resembles the SN Octoberfest I tried.

This is the Helles I planned on brewing, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=542886.

I could also go with this one, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=576012

Helles in general (if brewed to style) is a lot less malty, less ABV, less hoppy, less IBU, much lighter in color than Marzen/Oktoberfest.

Its not exactly apples and oranges but, well, maybe it's a bit like apples and oranges. Both are fruit and round. Otherwise different.

I brewed and served many styles to my beer-drinking family, the majority of whom are females, before I brewed and served my first hefe. It was an instant hit and now the go-to quaff they keep coming back for. It's a simple DME recipe, but has a great bready, malty, low-hop flavor.

I've brewed Gavin's Helle's recipe (and others like it). Just go for it. My wife doesn't drink beer but enjoyed that one. It won't have the toasty malt flavour that an O-Fest has and it will be lower in IBU and overall hop presence. Just a nice clean bready pils malt flavour. Very nice.

Since I already have the grains I'll go ahead and brew the helles.. Just don't want it to turn out the SN Octoberfest I tried.
For those who drink the Octoberfest style, do all commercial brands taste similar? I was going to try SPaten but ratebeer actually rated the SN one higher.

Back