Help Me Choose My Next Beer Glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brushwood Brewing

Cast your bread upon the waters
Reaction score
Last year for Christmas my wife gave me a set of tulip glasses, custom etched with my home brewery name and logo. This year she's offered to gift me another set, in a different style/shape. I brew and drink a wide variety of ales and lagers, so I'd like something that fits a wide range, yet is complementary to the tulip. Which style would you choose?

My wife bought me pint glasses like you would get in a bar with the etched psuedo brewery name and the date I started brewing. I don't know where she got them, but they are really cool.

The opposite of a tulip is a nonic.

Can't go wrong with a nonic. Same for the Willi Becher glasses.

I'll add, if it's not assumed, I wouldn't want anything smaller than a pint. No matter the style, I prefer a 16 oz glass over a 12 oz. I had a nice 16 oz tulip from one of my local breweries, until my wife accidentally broke it.

No matter the style, I prefer a 16 oz glass over a 12 oz.
I have plenty of 12 oz beer glasses and even a few 10 oz. I brew a lot of big beers and about the only commercial beers I buy anymore are Imperials. A pint of 13% ABV is often too much for some of my guests and the aesthetics of a half pour leave something to be desired.

I have plenty of 12 oz beer glasses and even a few 10 oz. I brew a lot of big beers and about the only commercial beers I buy anymore are Imperials. A pint of 13% ABV is often too much for some of my guests and the aesthetics of a half pour leave something to be desired.

Good point I didn't consider. I haven't brewed anything above 7% in a while and the last few batches have hovered around the 5% mark. I like big beers (and I can not lie), but being the solo drinker in my house, I don't brew them much if at all anymore.

Thanks all. I think I’m going to go with the Willi Becher. The ones I see available are 16oz, a little larger than I was hoping for, but I suppose I’ll just have to drink and brew more beer to fill them.

I have at least 10 different beer glass style and by far my favorite's are Traditional Pub Glass

Attachments

• 1704389661215.png
    1704389661215.png
    748.1 KB · Views: 1
I ended up deciding to go with a smaller glass, so I can have one or two per night and fill it up. I was tired of so much empty space in my 16oz glasses. It holds 11oz to the brim, or 9oz with a head. It's technically a Glencairn whiskey glass I suppose, but it actually supports the head beautifully. The glass has a high-quality feel, too. Here's a closeup image with the etching, and another next to a bottle for scale.

Left: HB American Pale Ale with 100% homegrown Cascade
Right: HB Baltic Porter

IMG_0154.jpegIMG_0152.jpeg

Last edited:
I got myself some 9-ounce miniature pub glasses, and they're great. Sometimes you want a smaller beer, but you also want the head to come up to the rim.

This is one of things where you ask 10 people and get 20 answers. Ask yourself a few questions: What styles of beer to you often drink? Do you bottle or keg? If you bottle, you only need a glass that will hold the bottle contents plus some room for foam. If you keg, what size pour do you typically enjoy?

You can go crazy with the "if it's this style beer you must have that style glass" thinking. You already have tulip stemware. Get something different, something you like. Go online, look at some glassware styles and pick one you think is cool looking.

I agree that people sometimes get too excited about the "proper" glass. It's obvious that some beers work better with some glasses than others, but I drink stout, wheat ale, ales similar to IPA, and lagers from the same basic styles of glasses without ill effect. I wouldn't want to drink an imperial stout from a pilsner glass, but I don't have any inclination to get different glasses for beers that are all 4%-7%, served at the same temperature and about the same level of carbonation.

Someone is joking above about Ball jars, but the shape of the inside of a Ball jar is not all that far from a tulip. The beer can't tell if the glass has a stem. I used Ball jars before I got tulips.

I wouldn't trust myself with one of these - I could see myself dropping them from picking them up "wrong".
I prefer a stemmed glass for that reason and the other: not warming the beer...

1708733198059.png

Cheers!

The threads on the mouth are what I dislike about Ball jars. I don't worry about warming because I like the ways the same beer tastes at different temperatures. I keep stout at 38, and it's great right after I pour it, but more things come out as it warms up.

In the South, it's permissible to drink anything from a Ball jar. When my dad had dementia and broke real glasses, Ball jars were a big help.

I'd suggest a "Maß Krug", the dimpled 1 litre German beer stein seen at Oktoberfest (they also come in smaller sizes online).
Also, the German bierstiefel ... the glass boot; which can also be a bit of a drinking game as the challenge is to drain the glass without getting beer back-splashing onto your face.

I've been using the glass below lately. Checks all the boxes for me. That lip midway up looked kinda odd (I think it is there to allow stacking), but it's great for a sure grip on your glass.

https://a.co/d/ej48ls1

I've got that same glass and it's one of my go tos. I like the nucleation too. Not just for IPAs or hoppy beers.

I like the dimpled mug too, like this one. Those two, plus a 16 oz tulip and the 16 oz "Mine" glass Northern Brewer was selling when I started are my 4 main glasses I keep in the kitchen.

1712266098911.png

Same here. The stems are very short. Not really made to be used. Probably intended to reduce the need for coasters.

I always assumed the stem was to help you cradle the glass in your hand so that your hand will warm the beer and release more of the aromatics — like an overgrown brandy snifter.

Edit: a picture for reference: https://images.app.goo.gl/3P31BSKrAc5jRoyF8

On a related note, Dollar Tree has surprisingly good beer glasses.
I was just about to say exactly the same thing. 😂 Lately I have been using their stemmed iced tea glasses (looks like a huge wine glass but slimmer), but I've got some heavy stemmed goblets there and also some nice pilsner glasses. For actual iced tea, I use mason jars or Dollar Tree stemless wine glasses (I think those hold 19 oz)

German dimpled glass mugs are also a classic. Order those from Amazon, but the price fluctuates a lot so you might want to monitor them for a while.

I finally pulled the trigger and got a double insulated stainless steel cup. I resisted for so long because they are outside of the 'norm'. Well, gents... it is amazing! I can have my beer next to the fire pit in the winter without the beer warming up like it does in glass. We've gotten into the 90s a couple days this year so far along with a few very humid days and happy to report that the beer stays cold and the cup doesn't sweat.

I even got a powder coated one and did some paint stripper and ferric chloride etching on it with brilliant results.

1714150565189.png

I finally pulled the trigger and got a double insulated stainless steel cup. I resisted for so long because they are outside of the 'norm'. Well, gents... it is amazing! I can have my beer next to the fire pit in the winter without the beer warming up like it does in glass. We've gotten into the 90s a couple days this year so far along with a few very humid days and happy to report that the beer stays cold and the cup doesn't sweat.

I even got a powder coated one and did some paint stripper and ferric chloride etching on it with brilliant results.

View attachment 847378
link?

Back