Undercarbed batch - should I take it out of the fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLA51

Reaction score
I have a batch of chocolate stout that tastes fantastic but is a bit undercarbed. It was a 2 gallon batch. I fermented for 3 weeks in a glass carboy then transferred with auto siphon to bucket for bottling, leaving as much trub in the carboy as possible. I used 1.5 oz of corn sugar mixed into the bottling bucket, based on iBrewmaster calculator. I let the bottles sit in approx 70 deg temps for 3 weeks and then put them into the fridge to "lager". It has been two weeks in the fridge and I sampled one tonight. As I said, it tastes great but could use a bit more carbonation.

Question: should I just leave them in the fridge for a few more weeks, or should I pull them back out into 70 deg temps for a few more weeks and let the yeast do some more work.

Yeast was Munton and Fisons Ale yeast.

Thanks!
RA

Pull 'em out and let them carb at room temp otherwise you will just have sleepy yeast that will not carb anything. Let the yeast wake up and finish carbing up your beer for a few more weeks at room temp, then put them back in fridge.

Get the beers out of the fridge. You can't carb in the fridge. The yeast will go dormant in the fridge and not produce and co2- you'll have flat beer no matter how long you leave them in there.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning.

Back