Refrigerated after bottling. 🤦‍♂️

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe 😎

Reaction score
So i realized a day later that i wasn't supposed to refrigerate the freshly bottled beer. I removed it from the fridge and it's on the counter now.
Should i leave it out for two weeks or longer now? Will my first batch of beer be a bust?
Please let me know.
Joe

It should be fine. The yeast will come out of dormancy and eat the priming sugar. Leave it out until it's fully carbonated, then refrigerate.

So 2 weeks from bottling should be okay?

Maybe. Yeast don't follow our schedules. It will depend on the yeast strain, how much yeast is in the bottles, how healthy they are, the ABV, and the temperature (among other things). Carbonation will be done when it's done. But if you can spare the bottles, there's no harm in trying one after a week or so.

How exactly would i know when the carbonation period is done?
Will i see bubbling in the bottle?

How exactly would i know when the carbonation period is done?

See post #4.

You'll gain experience over time. I know my basic 4% English bitter is ready at about 3wks. A darker or stronger beer I know will be ready at more like 4+wks. Either way, I chill one bottle at at time until I have proof they're at their peak.

Okay.
I'm going to follow your advice.
I'm going to wait 3 weeks now. Due to the delayed reaction to the yeast.
Then refrigerator. Thanks for your help.
This is me first run. I did 1 gallon of an IPA. If this goes well, the next batch will be 5 gallons.🍻

Okay.
I'm going to follow your advice.
I'm going to wait 3 weeks now. Due to the delayed reaction to the yeast.
Then refrigerator. Thanks for your help.
This is me first run. I did 1 gallon of an IPA. If this goes well, the next batch will be 5 gallons.🍻
Have you started the 5 gallon batch yet? If not, get with it!:p

😄
I'm a quality before quantity guy.
I want the 5 gallon batch to be perfect.
I like that thought, but for me, there’s always ways of messing it up, and I seem to discover new ways of doing it all the time. On the other hand, when I get it right, and that’s more often than not, I wouldn’t want to run out of beer after one gallon. Go for it!

I’m trying to figure out a way to brew more than 5 gallons at a time. Last time, I did two batches back to back/simultaneously by starting a second mash after getting first run in the boil kettle. I got it done; it was a bit of a juggling act, and left me wiped out. The chickens appreciated the double spent grain, though. 😁

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm a very patient guy and i have a great beer distributor less than 2 miles away. Plenty of IPA's to try before my home brew is ready. Vermont IPA's are my favorite af the moment.
Any recommendations?

Back