Should I put the bottles in the fridge now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali01

Reaction score
I bottled them in some glass bottles and the rest I bottled in some plastic soda bottle, it was a bit hazy when I bottled, so, there were plenty of yeast, I primed with brown sugar according to an online priming sugar calculator, it's been 6 days and the plastic bottles look very rigid now, it's really hard to press them
I bottled 14 days after bubbling was over, the whole primary took about 19 days.
I'm thinking I should put the bottles in the fridge now to stop further fermentation and as a result, further carbonation, I opened a bottle two days ago and it looked very carbonated to me.
Or should I just leave them at room temperature to let the yeast stay active and clean the byproducts, someone here told me aging can be done in the fridge too

Ok thx, I'm just trying to avoid bottle bombs, but considering I used a calculator and primes even fermentation was over, that shouldn't be a problem I guess

I bottled them in some glass bottles and the rest I bottled in some plastic soda bottle, it was a bit hazy when I bottled, so, there were plenty of yeast, I primed with brown sugar according to an online priming sugar calculator, it's been 6 days and the plastic bottles look very rigid now, it's really hard to press them
I bottled 14 days after bubbling was over, the whole primary took about 19 days.
I'm thinking I should put the bottles in the fridge now to stop further fermentation and as a result, further carbonation, I opened a bottle two days ago and it looked very carbonated to me.
Or should I just leave them at room temperature to let the yeast stay active and clean the byproducts, someone here told me aging can be done in the fridge too
If you left your beer in the primary for 19 days the fermentation should have been well over with no more fermentable sugar left. Using the priming calculator you added just enough fresh sugar to cause a restart of fermentation which carbonates the beer in the bottles and when the yeast have consumed that sugar your beer should be at the proper level of carbonation and the yeast, having nothing more to eat, will just stop. Your beer will mature at room temp or in the refrigerator. One advantage of refrigeration is that it will cause the proteins that cause "chill haze" to coagulate and settle out along with the yeast and trub. That will get you clearer beer.

Put one bottle in the fridge and let it chill, then try it. It's really the only way you're going to know if it's where you want it to be. If that one is well-carbonated, put the rest in the fridge, and enjoy. And start another batch! They will be gone before you know it.

You can do it either way. The results will eventually be pretty much the same given enough time. One way might give you the result you prefer sooner.

Arresting fermentation in the bottles is just going to leave you with excess sugar in the beer until the yeast slowly consume it all. Fridge temperatures slow but do not stall brewing yeast strains.

Most likely all the priming sugar has been consumed and fermented, anyway.

If you primed with the correct amount of sugar, which it sounds like you did using a calculator, you should not get bottle bombs, assuming you used a reasonable carbonation target and the correct beer volume. I like to condition for at least 3 weeks before chilling. As suggested above, chill a bottle and drink it to see if the carbonation is right before chilling all the bottles.

Back