Under-carbed beer: Regulator calibration? Or something funny?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eelgerg

Reaction score
Hey,

I have a keg setup with a 20-lb CO2 tank, and I currently leave the beer at 20 PSI (3-kegs on a y splitter been there for over a month) and the beer is easy under - carved. Plus my beer foams when poured.

Something is funny here. Either the regulator is messed and 20 PSI is actually only about 8 PSI, or something is funny after that. I think it is the former, since all three legs are about the same, all under carved, which makes sense.

Can I get a regulator calibrated anywhere? Praxair or Air Liquide ( in in Kamloops, BC, Canada).

Or is there something else up?

What is your beer temperature? 20 psi @ 61°F is equivalent carbonation (~2.2 volumes) to 8 psi @ 38°F. If your beer isn't warmer than normal keg serving temps, then it just might be your regulator.

Brew on :mug:

20 psi is very high, unless you're burst carbing temporarily. 12-14psi generally works well for 38-40F (search here for the chart).

How long have you had the beer on gas? Generally it will take up to a week for the CO2 to fully absorb. Also, the first pour can be very foamy if your liquid lines are warm and/or the beer has sat in the lines for a few hours or more.

How long are your liquid lines? Generally, 6-8 feet length is recommended to help with foam issues.

I usually carb my kegs at 12 psi for a week to a week and a half and its perfect. Too high of a psi could lead to carbonic bite or just a foamy mess.

Garage temp is probably 55F right now - I'll check tonight.

Liquid lines are all 12 feet. One has accuflex ultra seal tubing and the other has master flex silicone tubing (both 3/16") - don't ask why master flex - long story and will soon be replaced by accuflex once I get my push gittings.

Pgeduardo he carbing is not normal - I've confirmed that. New Kegerator build is in progress. Just trying to troubleshoot to see if my regulator is messed and find out if it can be fixed...?

Liquid lines are all 12 feet. One has accuflex ultra seal tubing and the other has master flex silicone tubing (both 3/16") - don't ask why master flex - long story and will soon be replaced by accuflex once I get my push gittings.

Your beer temp is on the high side. I suspect there is nothing wrong with your regulator. 12 ft lines will be on the short side for 20 psi, but when you get the keggerator/keezer done, the line length should be ok (after you turn the pressure down to ~12 psi.) Keep a copy of the chart below for reference.

Brew on :mug:

Carbonation Chart.png

I have a keg setup with a 20-lb CO2 tank, and I currently leave the beer at 20 PSI (3-kegs on a y splitter been there for over a month) and the beer is easy under - carved. Plus my beer foams when poured.

If it's foaming it doesn't sound undercarbed, I think you mean it foams then the beer underneath that is left is flat. Sounds like the lines are not long enough for the current pressure, the foam is all the CO2 coming out of solution, leaving flat beer behind. I think it will be fine like doug said when you can get the kegs in the keezer and turn down the pressure.

If the beer is at 55F then 20 psi will carb it up to 2.5 volumes which is fine. You can't serve it at that temperature and pressure though. It's going to foam and give you the problems you're seeing.

Before serving cool it down to 38-40F and set the pressure to 10-12 psi.

Subd - I think you may have it.

If I simply cool the beer down, I am assuming it will still be under carbed and I'll have to give it a week at serving pressure to get it up again no? Or would it immediately adjust within the beer somehow?

As mentioned I am beginning a keeZer build and this should hopefully solve the temperature issue.

But I still think my regulator is f'ed. Beer is definitely not at 2.5 volumes - tastes more like 1.5 volumes. Again - how can I calibrate (or clean?) my regulator?

I think Subd and I are saying the same thing - the beer is not undercarbed, it's just that in trying to pour it warm with short lines all the CO2 is being knocked out of solution and you are left with big foam over flat beer. If you cool it down it should be fine.

Ok - I will try to cool it down and see if that works. I see that it could be coming out of solution. Thanks for the tips.

If you cool it down make sure to drop the pressure to the correct level to correspond with temp/pressure chart to get the correct carbonation level. They are saying at 55 degrees the 20psi you are using to dispense is causing the foaming. If you purge the keg and drop it to a serving pressure of 10-12psi your foaming will reduce. But dont leave the keg at 20psi to dispense.

Right you definitely need to reset it to the corresponding pressure on the chart for that temp. When carbing warm I don't purge until it's chilled though, you want that gas to absorb back in the beer. I would disconnect the gas, chill for 24-28 hr, then just before reconnecting you can purge so as not to get any backflow.

Back