uncovered carboy who knows how long.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcmccoy

Reaction score
Ugh so I woke up today to an uncovered carboy and krausen all over my fridge. I need to just relax and not worry, I would like to have a home brew but its 10 am.. It would have been uncovered at most 9 hours .

My stout was fermenting rapppidly and had my termp controller set at 68 I used WLP023 on my 1.070 Oatmeal~american stout now when I woke up foam everywhere and the krausen has fell to about 1/4 inch and the temp dropped down to 66 WTF! Now im freaked that after the monster fermentation and the temp drop its not going to finish up.

I pitched my yeast at 7 pm Monday its now 10 am Wednesday. So 39 hrs later it starts to slow, I wish I had a heat belt to warm it back up.

EDIT: I am going to let it sit for 26 more days though.

66F is still a fine temp, why are you concerned about that? Other than the mess, unless your chamber is dirty, I don't think there's much to worry about. I could be missing something, but 68 is actually on the high end for what I (and my mentor brewers) prefer for clean fermentation.

Update air lock is bubbling I think the head space just needed to fill with CO2 again.

Back