Unable to Remove Prior Raspberry from Tap Lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobor_8thMan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Raspberry is apparently a strong flavor. Last year I made a Raspberry Cream Ale and kegged it.

Since the keg was kicked, it doesn't matter how I clean the tap lines I can still taste a bit and smell a bit of raspberry is very first pour. This tells me the raspberry is coming from the tubing. I use the Accuflex Bev-Seal Ultra tubing.

Guess, when the current keg is kicked, I'll just have to swap out the tubing for new tubing.

Lesson learned.

Hah! I've had a raspberry hibiscus wheat on tap since the 2nd week of March and have been wondering about that. I should've given the line an eyeball when I swapped in the second keg of red beer this week but the thought didn't occur to me.

On the up side, I'm using EVAbarrier tubing with PTC fittings. I'm planning on keeping that beer on tap through the summer (or until I'm no longer smitten by it :)) and if at the end that line needs replacing it'll take me all of about 10 minutes (I have a full roll of the 4mm ID on hand)...

Cheers!

Yea, no problem putting in a new line, it's just not realizing and then getting an unexpected raspberry flavor/aroma with every first pour.

I do hope my dilemma, and posting such, helps warn others to raspberry.

I didn't have a similar problem with vanilla or blood orange or cherry or strawberry or coconut. Just raspberry!

I guess I could see it for the others, but I am surprised that at least the cherry didn't leave any hints behind.

If you do replace it, consider switching to the 4mm ID EVAbarrier tubing instead of the Ultra 235.
Given the 235 is actually 1/5" ID thus requiring more of it than true 3/16" line (you're probably up around 15-18 feet, yes?) you can get away with 6 feet of the EVA, which is far more flexible and I believe cheaper to boot...

Cheers!

Back