uh oh....why so rubbery??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InYerMouth

Reaction score
I just got a pumpkin beer into the secondary today and mine had a dried burnt rubber flavor and aroma....I did what any brewer would do.... add more spice and let it sit...lol.

My buddies from the same batch, different yeast turned out very decent with no off flavors or bad aroma. I used a White Labs Ca ale (WLP051) and he used S-04.

Is it possible my rubber tastes are from autolysis?? brewed on 9-7-09, so it hasnt been on a yeast cake for an excessive time. Anyone have any input?? Dont want this to happen again???

No, its not Autolysis. People around here leave their beer in primary on yeast for months with great results.

Speaking from personal expereince I have recently realized that my past beers have been plagued by chlorine in the water supply. It led to chlorophenols and caused off flavors that resembled band aids or rubber.

From what I've read treat your water with 1 campden tablets per 20 gallons of water and that includes the water you rinse with as well.

Hope this helps, good luck.

I used a campden tab in a full 15 gallon batch. His didnt get any off flavors and the third guy hasnt tasted his yet, maybe that will tell me more. I have been using campden tabs in all my brews and never experienced this flavor before....right now just hoping it will age out. dont know what else could of caused it, other than different yeast...

I do like the feedback from a fellow lions fan tho...it can be hard sometimes...but at least we have won one this year!!! lol

I don't know if this will make sense or not BUT....... I get a VERY "rubbery" smell from my wine carboys when I open the airlocks. I am convinced the smell is the bung. Is it possible that could be what you are smelling and the smell is convincing you it TASTES rubbery?

I got the aroma out of the hydrometer test jar after taking a sample...Im keeping my fingers crossed and hoping you are right...but the flavor was def there..I use the universal bung for the airlock to so it shouldnt be to rubbery like the normal rubber stoppers. (I dont think)

only time will tell I suppose....If anyone else has ever experienced this I would still like to hear.

Different yeasts seems to be the only determining factor - what temp did you pitch at, and what temps did the beer hold at for the first 3-5 days?

pitched at about 70 degrees and kept it at about that (room temp) throughout. myabe a lil high??

The funny thing is that my airlock was active and bubbled away for almost a straight two weeks. That was the only reason I let it sit in primary a lil longer...it appeared I had really healthy yeast going to town and I wanted to make sure they could do everything they wanted to do...

Looking back, the only difference I did with this batch is that I didnt make a starter like I usually do....shouldnt of made a huge difference, but maybe I would of caught off esters from a bad yeast batch before pitching it.....

Back