Ughh teenagers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. Apparently there used to be a loophole in Louisianna (this might be urban myth) that allowed underage kids to drink, but not purchase alcohol. It was also illegal to purchase alcohol for minors. However, if said minor just magically happened to get his hands on it...

Yes, it is illegal to brew under the age of 21 as the moment you add yeast to juice/cider/wort it becomes wine/hard cider/beer.

And picking a new name won't help. We have your IP and if you continue to sign up with a "new" name we can just notify your local law enforcement and internet provider (both verizon for your smartphone and charter for home internet).

Please respect the rules of our forum.

Now this deserves an OH SNAP!

Mark Twain (no, it wasn't Ben Franklin) said "When a child turns 13, he should be sealed up in a barrel and fed through the bunghole. When he turns 16, seal up the bunghole"

Cue Beavis and Butthead bunghole jokes.

If people under the age of 21 aren't allowed to use this forum, why are people in Alabama and Mississippi allowed to use it?

That's a good question! I have no idea. :drunk:

Seriously, it just has to do with liability. We do not want any problems from hysterical parents or being accused of helping minors. If a kid was smart enough to lie about his age (or at least not promote it) and act like they were of "age" I don't think it'd be as much as an issue. We can say- "Well he SAID he was 22!" for example.

But in a case where someone comes on the forum and says they are hiding homebrew under the sink to hide it from their parents, and admits to being a teenager in the US, we have to act and can't turn a blind eye.

In cases of adults who may or may not be skirting the law on several issues, as long as they don't brag or post about it, it's not my problem.

I have to have a certain friend who gave me a certain liquid at a certain NHC. And I liked it, as that certain person knows! (That WAS you, wasn't it, chef?)

I'm pretty laid back and easy going, and wish the laws in the US would be changed. I'm fine with recreational drug use for adults, for example. But this isn't about my personal feelings, it's about not allowing discussions of illegal activities on our forum. Anyone dumb enough to say "Hey, I'm doing some illegal stuff" won't be long on our forum.

All kidding aside it was poorly thought out on his end. 1) admit to criminal (ok let me just say illegal) activity and 2) do so in order to get across a rather obnoxious message.

"You are all jerkwads! thats why Im going to sell the 30 grams of coke I have sitting here at my house at 354 Maple Avenue in Secaucus New Jersey to your kids! Ha!"

It's even better: part of his point was that "Hey, we teenagers are pretty sharp and can take care of ourselves, and you old fuddy-duddies don't get it! Oh, wait. I just did something stupid."

CreamyGoodness said:
@JonM, and then came back under a new name... that was almost exactly the same as the old one...

Ha! I missed that part.

That's a good question! I have no idea. :drunk:

Seriously, it just has to do with liability. We do not want any problems from hysterical parents or being accused of helping minors. If a kid was smart enough to lie about his age (or at least not promote it) and act like they were of "age" I don't think it'd be as much as an issue. We can say- "Well he SAID he was 22!" for example.

But in a case where someone comes on the forum and says they are hiding homebrew under the sink to hide it from their parents, and admits to being a teenager in the US, we have to act and can't turn a blind eye.

In cases of adults who may or may not be skirting the law on several issues, as long as they don't brag or post about it, it's not my problem.

I have to have a certain friend who gave me a certain liquid at a certain NHC. And I liked it, as that certain person knows! (That WAS you, wasn't it, chef?)

I'm pretty laid back and easy going, and wish the laws in the US would be changed. I'm fine with recreational drug use for adults, for example. But this isn't about my personal feelings, it's about not allowing discussions of illegal activities on our forum. Anyone dumb enough to say "Hey, I'm doing some illegal stuff" won't be long on our forum.

Thanks for the response - wasn't trying to be a smartass, just normal curiosity!

FWIW, it is legal to make wine in Alabama, but not brew beer. I don't know about Mississippi.

should i mention i first brewed a beer kit with my old dad nearly 30 years ago?

btw i was 41 yesterday:eek:

stood me in good stead, im now brewing at a micro in liverpool

My 12 yo brews beer with me. She has for several years. So I expect that if she wants to make beer or whatever, she won't feel like she has to hide it under the sink (cause, you know, parents never go under the sink for stuff...)

I remember the first alcoholic drink I made was some fizzy cider. Dad kept the cider out on the porch in the fall to ripen. I poured some in a tupperware glass and hid it in the basement behind some canning jars. Dad and I were sitting there watching the Pistons (IIRC) when the lid blew off. He looked at me and I just said, "I think my cider is ready." He just shook his head and smiled. Drinking was not allowed in our house.

My kids brew with me... and occasionally have miniscule samples of the end product. My mom was born in Austria, and her and her brothers and sisters used to have to drink a cup of some kind of small beer every night. Only in this culture do people view letting children have some alcohol as a carnal sin. I'm a firm believer that if you demystify something, your children are far less likely to try to sneak it/have a problem with it.

bottlebomber said:
I'm a firm believer that if you demystify something, your children are far less likely to try to sneak it/have a problem with it.

^^^
This is how I view it also!!
Living in this effed up state (utah) we have the righteous "zion curtin" which only makes the kids wonder what's happining and why they can't see and then they want to discover for themselves without guidance which only causes more problems!!

Agreed. I grew up observing responsible use of alcohol. It just wasn't a big deal. A beer with dinner or while watching football is normal.

I think when I was 10 or so my dad let me try a sip of Michelob ultra or something. That pretty much ended any interest or curiousity in beer as a teenager.

TyTanium said:
I think when I was 10 or so my dad let me try a sip of Michelob ultra or something. That pretty much ended any interest or curiousity in beer as a teenager.
I do this also but the cider, mead and wine will always be out of reach!!

I'm a firm believer that if you demystify something, your children are far less likely to try to sneak it/have a problem with it.

yeah i donno. i'm pretty sure European countries with lower drinking age limits have at least the same percentage of alcohol dependents as we do.

True stat. But perhaps their parents haven't demystified it and demonstrated responsible/normal use of alcohol.

I know personally as someone who was sheltered from alcohol I went buck wild throughout college. It wasnt until third semester freshman year that I found out the goal of the night was NOT to get the spins...

I know personally as someone who was sheltered from alcohol I went buck wild throughout college. It wasnt until third semester freshman year that I found out the goal of the night was NOT to get the spins...

I was brought up "un-shetered" by alcohol, my parents allowed me the occasional beer when i turned 18. i still went buck wild in college.

i don't know if there's a strong correlation between the two.

My kids brew with me... and occasionally have miniscule samples of the end product. My mom was born in Austria, and her and her brothers and sisters used to have to drink a cup of some kind of small beer every night. Only in this culture do people view letting children have some alcohol as a carnal sin. I'm a firm believer that if you demystify something, your children are far less likely to try to sneak it/have a problem with it.

In France, I was at a pub and saw a group of young teenagers come up to the bouncer, talk to him for a minute, then walk in and get beers at the bar. On the way out, I asked him what the drinking age was, and he told me it was 18 (or 19, can't remember exactly :drunk:). I said that those kids were nowhere near that age - so why did he let them in? Guy tells me it's only legal for him to ask how old they are, and he can't demand any ID. So if they say 18, they're 18. I asked him if underage drinking was a big problem, and he said not at all, because nobody really cares if you drink or not, so it's not taken so seriously. This was the hardest French conversation ever.

In France, I was at a pub and saw a group of young teenagers come up to the bouncer, talk to him for a minute, then walk in and get beers at the bar. On the way out, I asked him what the drinking age was, and he told me it was 18 (or 19, can't remember exactly :drunk:). I said that those kids were nowhere near that age - so why did he let them in? Guy tells me it's only legal for him to ask how old they are, and he can't demand any ID. So if they say 18, they're 18. I asked him if underage drinking was a big problem, and he said not at all, because nobody really cares if you drink or not, so it's not taken so seriously. This was the hardest French conversation ever.

Here they would all be in jail.

Only in this culture do people view letting children have some alcohol as a carnal sin.

My local Rite-Aid drug store took any mention of alcohol, beer and wine out of their *online* weekly circular/advertisements. It's still in the printed version that actually comes to the house ... but they took it off the online version so that "minors" don't poke out an eye with that information. What a bunch of morons.

Yup ... stuff like that gets under my skin something fierce and there are so many examples of similar hypocritical behavior on a number of issues.

Our society's pious behavior brings out the worst in me ... the O.H. has banned me from discussing such things around our friends because I end up doing my own version of the werewolf scene from An American Werewolf in London.

Another example is alcohol websites (Jagermeister etc) that ask you if you are 21 before letting you on to the site.
Really?
Are they really that stupid that they believe asking someone to state they are of legal age actually makes any difference?
There is NO liability issue that supports it ... it's 100% pure hypocrisy.

I really have to just leave it at this ... I'm inclined to go wayyyyyyy off topic.

Ironically in the county I live in, the drinking age is 21, but an 18 year old kid can easily (and I mean without fail) get a medical marijuana card and grow 25 plants exempt from local law enforcement. Where is the logic in that?

Well one line of logic is that that teenager can't acutely poison himself with his marijuana...but obviously that's not the real reasoning.

SenorPepe said:
Well one line of logic is that that teenager can't acutely poison himself with his marijuana...but obviously that's not the real reasoning.

Right, but it does give him a proper introduction to the warm and fuzzy world of drug trafficking. It's very common here to see 20 year old kids driving 50 thousand dollar vehicles. My own brother hasn't ever filed taxes... I'm not sure how they are able to get away with it, but it seems silly to let this happen in one part of the country, and then in other parts make homebrewing illegal.

Wait, what was this thread about again? :drunk:

Ironically in the county I live in, the drinking age is 21, but an 18 year old kid can easily (and I mean without fail) get a medical marijuana card and grow 25 plants exempt from local law enforcement. Where is the logic in that?

It is a bit weird that we can take an 18 year old, put a gun in his hand and have him kill other humans in war, but say he's not responsible enough to have a beer.

Cannabis is way better for you and IS medicine (yeah I know it's abused). If you are 10 and are on chemotherapy, you'd better hope you have access to MM. There is nothing that works as good from the drug companies.

Ricand said:
It is a bit weird that we can take an 18 year old, put a gun in his hand and have him kill other humans in war, but say he's not responsible enough to have a beer.

Cannabis is way better for you and IS medicine (yeah I know it's abused). If you are 10 and are on chemotherapy, you'd better hope you have access to MM. There is nothing that works as good from the drug companies.

Good point.

Ricand said:

As a long time EX-cannabis user, I can say with authority that it's not nearly as benign as some people would like you to believe. It is extremely habit forming, has large potential to lead to the use of other drugs, is inconsistent as far as potency, and has a large number of side effects. Sure it can enhance appetite, but when you've been smoking it for quite awhile and then you can't eat UNLESS you're stoned, it's hard to call that beneficial.
CreamyGoodness said:
Why would anyone post about chicken breast in an offal forum!?

I bought some chicken breasts the other day, but I returned them because they didn't have any nipples. Rubbish in our markets these days. :drunk:

Sure it can enhance appetite, but when you've been smoking it for quite awhile and then you can't eat UNLESS you're stoned, it's hard to call that beneficial.

Maybe if you're a recreational user. Better than wasting away or taking drugs with much more severe and lasting side effects than those you listed. On a continuum that includes things like tardive dyskinesia, organ failure and uncontrollable lava ****s or whatever, having to be high to eat is not so bad.

Back