Adventures in Moving:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Subsailor

Life is Tough, Stupid makes it Tougher
Reaction score
We left Alaska on 16 July. We had shipped my Wife's VW Bug all the way to Phoenix. We were driving my Brother-in-Law's 2013 Ford F-150. It rained, heavily, from the time we entered Canada until we got to Tacoma Washington. We visited with my youngest Daughter and her husband in Ft. Lewis for a couple of days. A good thing too because we got a call from the shipper that the VW was still sitting in Kent Washington. The shipper screwed up the paperwork, in the end we decide to drive the car and the truck the rest of the way to Arizona.
Going down the I5 to Portland, get on 80 East, 35 miles out of Portland, the clutch totally fails on the bug. 6 days in Portland to get the clutch replaced and we still have problems with 5th gear. the mechanic says it's drivable, just avoid 5th gear. When you get to AZ go to a VW Service Dept and have them finish the repairs. Fortunately, this all ends up being warranty work but we have to apply for a refund.
Go across via I90 now because the wife wants to visit where she grew up around Spokane. A couple of fun days there and we continue on.
Heading down 15 South from Butte to Idaho Falls. More Storms! Lightning, Thunder, High Winds, Low Visibility!
My wife is driving her bug, 15 miles north of Idaho Falls, the sun roof explodes up and out of the car, during the storm. 5 days in Idaho while they replace the sun roof. Not covered by warranty!!!
Currently sitting in a hotel in Peoria AZ while they finish the repairs on the bug; estimated time of repair; 3 to 4 days.

Long story short, we planned on 2 to 2 and a half weeks to get to Arizona. We actually ended up taking just short of 6 weeks to get here.
To top it off the buyer backed out of buying our house in Alaska and we have to wait until it sells to get a place here. We are looking at a 10 acre parcel in
Coyote Springs just north of Prescott Valley.

I'd argue with VW on the sun roof issue. It is not like you were racing out on the autobahn when that happened. Also ask for fuel reimbursement since you couldn't use 5th gear and save fuel (probably wont agree to the fuel expense but why not try). Glad to hear you made the trip.

Oh, wow. It's like a bad movie- what an experience. I'm glad you guys are ok, and I will take this as a clue to not buy a VW bug. ;)

I bet it's about 110 degrees in Phoenix, besides. At least you know it will all be easy sailing from here on.

Did yall take the Oregon Trail to Arizona? Geez.

I've heard nothing good about the new Bugs. A friend of ours got one the year they came out. She said it was underpowered and plagued with minor mechanical and electrical problems. A guy at work bought one for his wife a few years ago. Same thing and worse. Transmission went out. Oil leaks. Front end fell apart. They traded it in for a Buick.

Good to see you back Subsailor! Sorry to hear you had so many & such time consuming problems on your journey. If you'd have let me know when you were going to be in town, I'd have made time to at least buy you & the Mrs a beer and/or a meal. I understand that after those difficulties you probably just wanted to get to your destination ASAP; can't blame you for that. I've been in similar situations myself. Hope everything shakes out OK for you.
Regards, GF.

Good news: Our house in Alaska will close on October 9th and we are placing a bid on a 10 acre farm in Prescott Valley. It's already fenced and set up for animals, has a great well, just need to add Solar Power and be completely off the grid!
It has a nice bunk house that just needs a a new fridge and I have plans to convert it into my man cave/brewery! The bunk house is about 1000sqft, needs some TLC but its got a 3 burner stove (propane), air conditioning, sleeps up to 4 people, room for a table, chairs, has its own full bathroom, I couldn't ask for much more! The lady selling the place has some Hops growing on the North side of the house that her ex planted but she doesn't know what they are.
The property is set up for very well for animals, and has an orchard; apples, pears, plums and peaches bordered with grape vines.

Back