Ugh prv was open

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just_another_drunkard_666

Reaction score
Fermenting a pale ale in a 5 gallon corny keg. Went to closed transfer today and found the qr was open on the fermentor. All I can think I accidentally twisted the ring while taking a gravity sample a couple days ago. Just out of habit I purge after first putting gas on it so I definitely would have pulled it. How much oxygen exposure would that have created? Or is this paranoia

With "qr" you mean the PRV?

All I can think I accidentally twisted the ring
A moment of inattention maybe? You need to pull the ring up and turn it 90°, then make sure it stays on top. ;)

Not much you can do about it. But bigger oversights have been made over the years and still resulted in good beer, right? I'd say oxidation would still be quite minimal. It's not like being in a wide open bucket with a huge headspace.

Best scenario, if you fermented under pressure (even if it was low) there's quite a bit of CO2 dissolved in your beer, and that may have been slowly outgassing, creating a bit of a CO2-rich blanket while the PRV was open.

I'd purge it a few times (5-10x) under lowish pressure (say 3-6 psi). Then transfer into a 100% liquid pre-purged keg.
RDWHAHB, and enjoy your beer!

Good news is, you will never walk away from a keg again, without double checking the PRV. ;)

Did not ferment under pressure but final sample prior to transfer seemed fine. Time will tell I suppose. Don't know how I missed that.

Closed transfered to serving keg without a hitch. Maybe I'll just end up consuming it before off flavours set in anyways but felt better asking.

PRV? What PRV? You will be fine…
496141A0-EA5C-4D65-9F76-70A6EE8B06F7.jpeg

Well i was out of town for a while as it sat around conditioning on tap. tastes like ass, was the bee cave hauspale ale but with armirrilo. Honestly just reminds me of cheap swill. Did attenuate down more than I planned ... as opposed to the 1.051 - 1.011 as written, ended up around 1.054 - 1.008 but not sure that would make it taste significantly worse, but I think the muted flavours and darker colour could be chalked up to oxidization.

I had to re-read it as I thought that was a positive comparison. Even the cheap swill part didn't seem out of place; it all depends on the derriere in question I suppose. And was it late in the day? Barnyard and horseblanket may sound gross, butt are both positive attributtes for certain styles...

Back