Two nights in Chicago

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgr_stl

Reaction score
I'm heading up to Chicago next month to enjoy a long weekend of eating, drinking, and hanging out with friends. I have a couple key things on my to-do list.

#1 - Drink some good beer
#2 - Eat some good pizza

Where would you recommend going in order to accomplish both?

We'll be staying in the Loop area, so something reasonably close to there would be ideal. Not really interested in anything touristy... just want good beer and good pizza.

As far as pizza, there's plenty to choose from but a really good chain is Lou Malnati's - there is one close to the loop. Regardless of where you go, I'd expect most places to carry Green Line by Goose Island. It's a draft-only and Chicago-only pale ale.

If you want good pizza and good beer, go to Gino's East on Lasalle Street. If you like deep dish, Gino's is the place, and they also brew their own beer there as well.

Another good spot is Piece Brewery and Pizza on North Ave. in Wicker Park. They do a great pizza, and have some great beers on tap, worth the cab ride!

I loved the Revolution brewpub and Hopleaf when I was up there for Lollapalooza last year!

Two nights in Chicago
is not quite enough
to take in all there is
to see
to taste
and all that stuff

In the corner is a Revolution
Say hay at the market
A miracle mile to your destination
A Half Mile you can park it

Two nights in Chicago
Is not a lot
But I say it sure beats
One Night in Bangkok

I def recommend Half Acre and Revolution. Akari Shogun and Senita (formally known as Heyoka) from Half Acre are solid brews.

I had several Revolution IPAs 2 years ago when the family went to a convention. The hotel basically didn't have any other local beers, so that's what I drank and they were very good!

Go to revolution taproom and order in Giardino's deep dish they deliver there (most people from Chicago eat thin crust but when in Rome) this way you get to go to an awesome brewery and get your Pizza fix

+1 for a trip to Revolution. Amazing beers on tape (many you can't get in stores) and free popcorn. you can also buy a lot of there beers in house and take them home with you. the tour is great too! very informative and pretty cool considering they do all their canning in house. Id check ahead for tour times and def get there early as its first come first served and fills up quick. Its an easy Uber ride out there too.

Also we stumbled upon the Haymarket pub & brewery while waiting for dinner one night. This pace is a pretty cool nano/micro brewery that does some pretty awesome barrel aged beers and also has a great beer list. its also located pretty close, if not in the loop.

Hope this helps

Thanks a lot for all the feedback! Revolution is on the list for sure.

Lou malnatti's is awesome. So is Gino's for Chicago deep dish.

Haymarket is just so so. The beer joint in eataly was much better. Spent a while there chatting with the brewer. Super nice dude.

You MUST MUST go to Gulliver's pizza in Lincoln Park. DO it. It changed my life and the way I thought about pizza!

Nobody is this this thread is wrong.

Deep dish is a must when in Chicago. Giordanos, Gino's East, Lou Malnatis, Due. All solid options. But Piece makes a world class citra pale ale you might want to try and their pizza is great too. Although deep dish is best elsewhere.

If you like lagers, Metropolitan is a brewery to seek out.

Hops are all over this city. RevBrew, Half Acre, I can not believe Pipeworks hasn't been mentions. Go to a store and find a beer called The Fuzz. IPA with peaches.

The Beer Temple is one of the best run craft beer stores in the city. The owner, Chris, is as well rounded as you'll find anywhere. Soon to be a master cicerone.

Temperance makes an awesome English ipa and ESB. Both have medaled. Spiteful makes awesome stuff as well.

The Distro in this area is crazy as well. Not sure where your from, but chicago has stuff from everywhere. NY to LA.

Like someone above said, 2 days is not enough.

Have fun, and buy some beers to take home with you.

Take the purple line to Davis and walk a couple blocks west to Smylie Bros. Great BBQ + pizza from the wood-fired oven, which they also use to heat the rocks for their excellent steinbier.

If you go to revolution go to the actual brewery, I went to the restaurant/brewery and it was overly crowded...felt more like a chain (popcorn was insane tho). No joke Half Acre needs to be #1 trust me

Back