Two Liter Polypropylene Erlenmeyer Flask for Starters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Positronic_Matrix

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I purchased a 2 L polypropylene Erlenmeyer flask from Amazon today. My goal is to use it with my existing stir plate to create yeast starters. I selected polypropylene as it was significantly less expensive ($7) than glass/Pyrex ($30) and has a screw top.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MTDRZDM/

It can be placed repeatedly in an autoclave (pressure cooker) without damage, as its melting point is 160 °C. I suspect it could even be heated on a hot plate on a low setting without issue. (The yeast would be killed before the flask would be.)

I searched all over the web and I could not find any information regarding the usage of polypropylene versus glass for brewing. I can’t be the first. Does anyone have an experience with such a flask?

I pour my prepared wort at boil temperatures into my flask, and then use an ice bath to cool to pitching temperature. Not sure that is going to work with a plastic version. Also might be concerned with the stir plate magnetic piece rubbing on the plastic.

I pour my prepared wort at boil temperatures into my flask, and then use an ice bath to cool to pitching temperature. Not sure that is going to work with a plastic version.
Not a problem, temp rating is well above boiling point of wort.
Also might be concerned with the stir plate magnetic piece rubbing on the plastic.
This is at minimum a concern. I don't know if it's a real concern, but at least worth considering. However, at 1/4th the price of glass, you won't feel bad if you f-it up.

[...]
I searched all over the web and I could not find any information regarding the usage of polypropylene versus glass for brewing. I can’t be the first.[...]

Jury is still out on that count ;)
I've never read of anyone using a plastic e-flask, but perhaps it's not something someone would think important to mention...

Cheers!

With glass it's pretty streamlined heating the wort inside the flask, which ensures sanitation.
Plastic can't be directly heated as easily and I don't think that pouring boiling wort inside a flask would always achieve the same level of sanitation as direct heating.

Seems like a reasonable product though, especially if budget-conscious. Good luck!

I used this product in place of a glass flask over the past week to build a yeast bank. I was able to pour boiling liquid into it and heat it gently on a hot plate (24 °C) without damage.

It has several advantages over glass:
  • It was a fraction of the price
  • It has a screw top
  • It is unbreakable
  • Stir-plate magnets are quiet in it (no clanking)
It has two disadvantages:
  • It is slightly opaque
  • Surface heat must be below ~100 °C

In short, I love this container. It is significantly more useful than my heavy, slippery 2 L glass flask with the stoppers that never want to stay in. For yeast starters/ranching, this light, cheap vessel with a screw-top lid is absolutely perfect. I need to hunt down 1 L versions.

Latest posts

Back