Two batches, two stuck fermentations.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggles

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Hefe and a Saison right now, the Saison is using the Wyeast Belgian Saison (3724) and the hefe is using the Weihenstephan Weizen (3068).
I pitched the saison on July 21st, and the Hefe on August 1st, and both of them are sitting at 1.020 (started at 1.056 and 1.053 respectively), and don't seem to be moving. Temperature is currently around 71F. Both were pitched from the smack packs without a starter.

Do I get a heater and warm them up, or should I pitch in some Nottingham or another neutral yeast to finish them up?

Try gently stirring with wort with a sanitized spoon to get some of the yeast that may have dropped to the bottom back suspended in the liquid.

Try gently stirring with wort with a sanitized spoon to get some of the yeast that may have dropped to the bottom back suspended in the liquid.

I did that, and it's helped a little (1.025 down to 1.020). I think I may need to warm up the carboys to get it going.

Read about the belgian elsewhere, its not going to finish fermenting unless it sits at about 85-90 for another couple weeks.

Extract or All Grain batches?
Mash temp?
refractometer or hydrometer readings?

the 3724 needs heat, like 90+ and it will finish like a snail.............maybe 4-5 weeks and finish below 1.010 easily but slowly:)

If extract then all bets are off, they could very well be done depending on the freshness of the extract, pitch rate, gravity, aeration, etc. If AG then mash temp could have been higher than you thought impeding proper attenuation.

Extract or All Grain batches?
Mash temp?
refractometer or hydrometer readings?

the 3724 needs heat, like 90+ and it will finish like a snail.............maybe 4-5 weeks and finish below 1.010 easily but slowly:)

If extract then all bets are off, they could very well be done depending on the freshness of the extract, pitch rate, gravity, aeration, etc. If AG then mash temp could have been higher than you thought impeding proper attenuation.

I have it sitting at 88 right now, and it seems to have stopped. I added in some dextrose in solution and the yeast ate it right up, so I'm guessing that fermentation is just done.

Biggles said:
I have it sitting at 88 right now, and it seems to have stopped. I added in some dextrose in solution and the yeast ate it right up, so I'm guessing that fermentation is just done.

I know it's been a while but I would give it a week at that temp just to be sure;)

Was this an all grain batch? If you mashed too high in an all grain batch I'd say that's your culprit. Otherwise not certain what is going on. Did you oxygenate? Did you use any yeast nutrients?

Update. I took a hydrometer reading. 1.000!!!!!
Why is there such a discrepency between hydrometer and refractometer?

Biggles said:
Update. I took a hydrometer reading. 1.000!!!!!
Why is there such a discrepency between hydrometer and refractometer?

Because refractometer a require a brix adjustment due to the presence of alcohol and even then they do not always read the correct gravity, always use a hydrometer for FG readings.

Btw, 1.000 is water, now check your hydrometer in distilled water to calibrate it.

It's good. Alcohol is less dense than water, so it makes sense. FG is actually 1.001 when the temp was normalised
CameraZOOM-20130909173554689.jpg

I think you may want to calibrate your Hydrometer. If that is the Saison, then you are looking at a 7.2% beer with 98% AA with the yeast. Normal attenuation with that yeast is 76-80%.

Even if that is the Hef, then that yeast isn't going to get that dry either. Someone above suggested calibrating it with some distilled water, because the paper inside there can move, but it's up to you.

Latest posts

Back