Chronic Stuck Fermentation --- Buy a new hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttuato

Reaction score
I, like many here, have battled "stuck fermentations" over the course of many batches recently. Thanks to HBT I know all the major "causes" - mash temp, use of unfermentables like crystal, underpitching, etc. And all of the major "answers" - rouse yeast, raise temp, add more yeast, add enzyme, add higher attentuating yeast, etc...

I have been using Wyeast 1318 or WLP644 - Most (all grain) batches OG 1.065-1.070, 3% Carapils max, mash temp 151. Each time I was getting ~72-75% AA but the FG has consistently been 1.017-1.020 which was higher than most everyone here. I had yet to strike the sought after 1.012-1.014 range....

The most recent batch - OG "1.066", 2% Carapils, mash 151, Wy 1318, 1.5L starter, O2 - "stalled" at 1.020 after three days, same at day six ----- no reasonable issues..... Angry because I was here yet again - I did everything at once: I pitched a 500mL starter of US05, one pound of sugar, raised the temp, roused the yeast off bottom, added 1/2tsp amylase enzyme. After two days 1.016 - somewhat of a success, but I was frustrated with is still stopping at 1.016 and all I had to do to get it there. What could I do differently......I thought maybe my hydrometer is off.....

two days later - old hydro (BSG triple scale) - 1.016, new Brewer Elite - 1.010.....:eek::eek::smack::smack::smack::smack:

Moral of the story - buy a new, non-cheap hydrometer

Now I have a keg of Braufessor NEIPA that is actually ~8.5%, oh well.. ABV:mug::drunk:

I'll check my hydrometer each brew day in distilled water. My hydrometers are calibrated at 60°F. The hydrometer should read 1.000 at that temperature. Sometimes the card inside slips. One hydrometer is now reading 0.004 points high.

Back