Trouble with my temp readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Vogan

Reaction score
I am having a bit of trouble with the temp readings on my td4 controller I got temp differential set so now it reads the correct temp but it wont go down in temp It reads the same high temp all the time Have tried putting the TC in a bucket of ice water and it still reads the high temp How do I get this thing to do right so I can start looking for the next problem ?

I am having a bit of trouble with the temp readings on my td4 controller I got temp differential set so now it reads the correct temp but it wont go down in temp It reads the same high temp all the time Have tried putting the TC in a bucket of ice water and it still reads the high temp How do I get this thing to do right so I can start looking for the next problem ?
Link to the temp probe that you are using, and what is the value of your "Input Type" setting? This value is shown in the bottom display window on power up, right after all of the display segments flash on. Got to look quick as it is only displayed for about 3 seconds.

Brew on :mug:

One solution is to ditch the TC and go with a pt100.. They are a lot more forgiving to wiring and even control panel temps from what ive read here recently. I never had luck with TCs and went to pt100 rtds

Have checked my wiring and all is good Have reversed wires and the same result Might have to go check out auggiedoggy and see what is in there Maybe a solution ?

My value is the k type and I am using the pt100rtd Have moved wires around and still the same results Have double checked my wiring but will do a triple check just to make sure Anyone on here have the settings for the td4 controller that will work Maybe I missed something or didnt put something in

I don't know this unit. But K-type is not RTD, unless there's something I don't know here about the labeling in this unit... Seems like you should select another input type?

Never thought about that Hey im old and stupid Gonna try the input type Will get back with the results Thanx

Tried the different inputs and found one that does what it should be doing but still having problems with getting the differential set But working on that Which sensor is the best in your opinion The TC or the PT100 ? I am guessing the PT 100 But need to now opinions Thanx everybody

Pt100 is the most accurate over the temp range we are interested in, is less susceptible to electrical noise, and doesn't have issues if the wrong kind of extension wire is used.

Thanx everybody Especially Doug for all the info and links It has finally got me on the right track Now to finish the adjustments Now am gonna look into a contactor Just what I need...more problems :)

Went thru everything I have been told and still cant get this thing to work Have tried all the inputs and nothing seems to work The temp will go up to where the hot water is I have on the side but it wont cool down It stays there So now I am lost again and about ready to trash this project I dont want to but if I cant get it running then it will be Any advice ?

I am using the pt100 rtd and my input type is the k type
Input type should be pt100. the k type is a thermocouple probe not rtd... honest mistake when you dont know, I did the same.

RTDs are the best type.

Post a photo of your wiring on the back of the pid or at least what color wire is connected to what screw terminal
I have a bunch of mypins and havent had a defective one yet, not saying it cant happen but we could just have a crossed wire..take a break if your getting frustrated.

Last edited:
Thanx auggiedoggy I will do that after I take a long break A crossed wire seems to run with me in most things I do My wife tells me I have a short all the time

Heres a pic of my wiring Hope you can make it out It is a mess
aa.jpg
aa.jpg aa.jpg

from the manual a few posts up it says that RTD A (the ones which are same color) go to 10 and 11, then the last lead goes into 12, but I don't know why it also says that it also goes into 13?

Thanx Doug I tried and everything is the same No changes Anything else to offer that might help ? Needless to say I do appreciate all your help Maybe we can get this thing to work
I have put the contactor on hold for awhile now Maybe forever

What is the symbol for the pt100 ? Ihave tried all of them with no results What is the difference between a pt100 and the k type ?

So one RTD setting should work for all of them ? How do I know what should work for mine ?

yes the setting you want is "pt100" one of the mypin diagrams is wrong I believe... I cant rememebr if its the td4 or the ta4 but I rememeber the sticker on the unit didnt match the directions... go by the sticker on the unit

I went by the sticker on the unit My pt100 has 3 wires and I have since posting the pic wired it directly into the td4 with no connector or plug Think I will try reversing the 2 white wires and see what happens Now just for my own peace of mind the unit is supposed to read the set value, sv, and the present value,pv, and supposed to show the temp change as it rises or falls Just like a thermometer Or is it supposed to stop at a given temp and not come down ? As I said before Im old and stupid

I went by the sticker on the unit My pt100 has 3 wires and I have since posting the pic wired it directly into the td4 with no connector or plug Think I will try reversing the 2 white wires and see what happens Now just for my own peace of mind the unit is supposed to read the set value, sv, and the present value,pv, and supposed to show the temp change as it rises or falls Just like a thermometer Or is it supposed to stop at a given temp and not come down ? As I said before Im old and stupid
the temp probe is supposed to read the temp of whatever liquid its in. If you pull it out of a hot liquid you should see the temp drop back down. if its set to a certain SV it will heat till it reaches that and HOLD and maintain that temp as long as you still have that set as the SV.. This is why many have a mechanical switch wired between the ssr output and ssr or better yet a contactor to kill element power.. at that point the temp would slowly drop back down to room temp.

Thats what I thought it is supposed to do But its not So something is not right with this thing Thanx auggiedoggy

Another question for you What contactor did you use and where would I get it ? Been thinking about using one but dont know much about them

Please post a pic of the sticker on your TD4 unit. I looked at some images of stickers on-line, and they all matched the diagram in the "manual", which I posted above.

If you have an ohmmeter, you can test the temp probe. Measuring between the ends of the two same colored leads should give a reading of 0. Measuring between either of the same colored leads and the odd colored lead should read somewhere close to 100 ohms. And both same to odd pairings should read exactly the same.

Another question for you What contactor did you use and where would I get it ? Been thinking about using one but dont know much about them
A contactor is just a relay (usually double or triple pole [don't worry about 3 pole contactors]) specifically designed for switching high currents. It is just a big magnetically operated switch, controlled by a simple mechanical switch (or digital signal.) The contacts need to be rated for the voltages and currents that you want to switch, and the actuating coil needs to be rated for the voltage that you will use to control the contactor.

Here is one contactor suitable for switching 30A, 240V using a 120V circuit to control it.

Yay me Finally got this thing to work Just needed some adjustments to the parameters and it worked Thank you Doug for the link Went and ordered me one Now to move on to my next headache Before I forget I want to thank Auggiedoggy for all his help It did get me going in the right direction

Back