Trouble Shooting Wheat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caioz1jp

Reaction score
5.5 Gallons
Mash @ 148F for 60 min
5lb Two Row
4lb White Wheat Malt
1lb Oats
.5oz Willamette @ 60 min
1oz Sorachi Ace @ 5 min
Wyeast American Ale 1056 1L Starter

OK so I had two things go wrong with this beer. First was I wanted to mash at 152F but I think it was too cold outside for my cooler to hold the temp. Next I made a yeast starter that never really took off. The pack was a little old and kind of swollen when I bought it, but the LHBS told me it would be fine. So I pitch and had a mild but complete fermentation. My SG was 1.046, shooting for 1.052, and finished at 1.007.I never racked it so it sat in primary for about 4 weeks. I kegged it and it tasted fine except for it had a slight sour to it. This is the second time I brewed this but dont remember having this sour taste. Is there anything obvious here that would stand out as to why it would come out sour? Im shooting for a nice session "lemony" summer wheat beer that doesn't involve dumping lemonade into it. Could the 1oz of Sorachi ace be too much for a beer that ended up being unintentionaly dry?

Looks very similar to the wheat ale I do.

That is a lot of late hop for a light beer like this. I only use enough hops in mine at 60 min to get about 16 IBU's with an OG of 1.048 and I use 1/4oz of dry sweet orange peel for citrus flavor, comes out awesome!

If your sourness is caused by the late hops, that will fade as it ages and carbonates. If you have an infection it will only get worse.

I doubt its infection becuase it is oddly crystal clear. Probable becuase I use the 1056. Last time I used S-05, which also came out very clear. I believe beer smith has me at 20 IBU or so. Also, I do .5 sorachi ace at 10min and .5 at 5min

Back