Hefeweizen rice hulls

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jloewe

Reaction score
Doing a 3 gallon batch of Hefeweizen this weekend. But like an idiot…. Since I had to replace a bunch of equipment from a flood I totally forgot to buy rice hulls amongst my more beer order. With a small batch will I still need rice hulls or will I be fine?

System Karlstien with malt pipe

grist and recipe is as follows

3 gallon batch
4.21 total water from Brewfather

Planning on no sparge since I have the room

3lbs Pilsner
3lbs wheat malt

60 min 150 mash
10 min 170 mash out

60min boil

.5 tettnag at 60

Not applicable to the question but I’ll post it anyway because I know you’re wondering

Munich classic yeast fermented at 70

A solution I thought was to maybe BIAB inside the malt pipe and the use the malt pipe as a gigantic hops spider

Only way to know is to try it. If it works you are free from the hassle. You might try a little longer 150F rest to give some more time to break things down (90 min) unless you are dealing with a stuck mash all day! I find longer mashes with hefes to be beneficial. See if you like it since it might be a semi experimental day.

My last brew was a wheat. It was a ten gallon batch using my standard cooler mash tun with a slotted manifold on the bottom. The grain bill was 50% wheat and I did not use any rice hulls this time and didn't notice any difference. Note though, that I do full volume mashing with no sparging. It works fine for my brewing although many would disagree with that practice.

So, to your question, not having rice hulls should be fine using BIAB method.

My last brew was a wheat beer made with 50% wheat flour and 50% barley malt (I can't remember if it was pilsner malt or vienna, and brewersfriend.com seems to be down so I can't check my recipe) I did it BIAB with no-sparge and did not need any rice hulls. Draining the bag was slow and I had to squeeze it but it did not stick.

@Jloewe how did it work out for you?
No stuck mash. I stirred and moved spent grains around with a kitchen spider. Actually worker awesome and it’s now my permanent mash paddle.

However like an idiot I read my brew father data wrong and added way too much water and ended up with a very session level 3.4%. Additionally there’s an almost lemon flavor. Although it’s hard to tell if that’s just a watered down flavor or if I did something wrong.

In the end drinkable beer. Seems to be getting better with age so I may have broke in a little pre mature as it’s just now 6 weeks.

Back