Tried to make this recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T29

Wicked Hops Brewing
Reaction score
I was at a local shop and for my second batch ever I tried to do this but wasn't sure how it was going to turn out in the end. It's been in the primary for about 4 days now and it's bubbling pretty nice actually with a pretty strong hoppy smell for an amber ale. Fingers crossed.

I split the batch in half as 5gal was enough for me so hopefully it turns out.
I had to google and guess what Temp to boil grains and hops at so hopefully this won't be a fail and be disappointed. Here all I got

image-1056519937.jpg

image-29264397.jpg

image-4115772072.jpg

image-147093213.jpg

Attachments

• image-1375225938.jpg
    image-1375225938.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 253
  • image-1356093664.jpg
    image-1356093664.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 234
Nice pictures! And by those, it looks like you're going to have a tasty beer in 4 weeks or so.
The instructions weren't the worst I've ever seen, but not the easiest to follow either. The recipe looks pretty solid for an extract Amber, although I would wonder what's in the mystery 3 L of 'adjunct'. I really like Cascades as a finishing hop- wonderful flavor and aroma. I'll bet you're going to really enjoy this one.:mug:

I did look up some amber ale brew recipes on the site and followed them for the boil temps etc, this made my life a bit easier and in the end I hope it helped and my brew turns out.

That is one of the strangest recipes that I have ever seen. I hope that you did not boil with any grains. You can steep or mash grains but you should stay below 170F for both procedures.

Everything in the pictures looks OK and you will get beer.

Keep us posted on the outcome.

It creeped to over 180f for a bit but I took it off the stove and brought it back down bellow before I kept going. The recipe wasn't much help and not being experienced dident help much either but I'm crossing my fingers that it works. The smell that comes out of the airlock smells hoppy and good.

Won't be doing that again though lol

Try some tried and true recipes. There are some good ones on this site. I like to use ones on Northern Brewer's website. Look for a beer kit that looks good and click on it. Then scroll down to the additional information tab. I look at these recipes and make alterations using Beersmith 2 to come up with something I 1) might have ingredients on hand or 2) make something to my liking.

I will also alter recipes that I find elsewhere to something that seems interesting. I like starting from something already done so that I am not flying blind. (small changes in a proven recipe)

Look at a lot of recipes and you will soon notice if something seems strange. Like the one you posted.

But, who knows it may turn out to be one of the best!

I did look up some amber ale brew recipes on the site and followed them for the boil temps etc, this made my life a bit easier and in the end I hope it helped and my brew turns out.
Not sure what you mean by looking up boil temps. A boil is a boil. In distilled water at normal atmospheric conditions it occurs at 212F. Wort will boil at a certain temp, and it depends on gravity and atmospheric conditions what that temp is. In any case, a boil is a boil when it's begins to bubble up. That is what is meant by boiling the wort.

If you are talking about temps for mashing (which wasn't part of this recipe, not part of any extract recipe) or steeping, those are different. Those are not boils.

Not sure what you mean by looking up boil temps. A boil is a boil. In distilled water at normal atmospheric conditions it occurs at 212F. Wort will boil at a certain temp, and it depends on gravity and atmospheric conditions what that temp is. In any case, a boil is a boil when it's begins to bubble up. That is what is meant by boiling the wort.

If you are talking about temps for mashing (which wasn't part of this recipe, not part of any extract recipe) or steeping, those are different. Those are not boils.

Mash temps not part of any extract recipe?? What do you think Partial mash is??! But yeah,those instructions are wack bring to a boil,then reduce with irish moss added BEFORE the steeping grains? What bizzaro world did these people come from? You mash or steep first (steeping generally @ 150-165F). And then for about 30 minutes. Sparge grains & start the boil with a bit of the extract 1-2lbs in 2.5-3.5 gallons of water.

Mash temps not part of any extract recipe?? What do you think Partial mash is??!
I consider recipes to be one of three types:
Extract - No mashing used. Might be steeping. Uses malt extract.
Partial Mash - Some mashing, but not the full grain bill. Uses some malt extract.
All Grain - Full grain bill mashing.

When I stated mashing wasn't used in extract, I was referring to exclusively extract recipes, not partial mash recipes.

50+% sugar! It'll get you drunk but that's about all that recipe has going for it. It really is vague and has steps out of order. Boiling the steeping grains will certainly give you a little more flavor but probably not the flavor you were looking for. However, it'll be entirely drinkable.

Here is an extract with steeping grains template for you.

Put 1 lb of your extract into cool water and stir to dissolve.
Put your steeping grains in a bag into the pot with the water and extract.
Turn heat on and bring to 170 degrees.
Remove the steeping grains.
Bring to a boil. WATCH THE POT
Start timer for 60 minutes
Add boiling hops.
When timer reads 15 minutes, add your flavor hops and 1/2 tab of whirlfloc

When timer reads 5 minutes, stop the timer. TURN OFF HEAT. Add the rest of your extract and mix well. Bring back to a boil. Start the timer.

When timer reads 5 or 1 minutes, add your aroma hops.
When timer goes off, chill by whatever means you have.
Put in fermenter, top up with water and pitch yeast.
Wait
Bottle
Wait
Drink
Repeat (You should move this up between the Bottle and second Wait or you'll never get a stockpile going)

Yeah those are some weird instructions.

The recipe looks like it's from 1978. Where did it you get it?

You can say that again. Apart from being sheer wrong in many places, like the boiling of the grains, the language is almost incomprehensible. It looks like it was translated.
"Flash cool in the plate heat exchanger..."​

And it includes 50% sugar. Yowsers!

T29, what country are you in? Where did you get this kit?

Does that say to add 3 packets of yeast?
This is just crazy talk!

IslandLizard said:
You can say that again. Apart from being sheer wrong in many places, like the boiling of the grains, the language is almost incomprehensible. It looks like it was translated.
"Flash cool in the plate heat exchanger..."

And it includes 50% sugar. Yowsers!

T29, what country are you in? Where did you get this kit?

In Canada

The recipe was very strange, that's for sure. I did get a red ale recipe off the Internet and followed most of those instructions. I posted the picture to show how weird it was.

I did use the same ingredients but followed another's method to brew.

Hello said:
Does that say to add 3 packets of yeast?
This is just crazy talk!

Yah I thought it was a bit bonkers to use so much. I only used half the ingredients. Won't be doing this again.

Found this site has pretty good recipe guides and so does another site ill be using from now on.

The brew is doing well and the smell is pretty nice so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for it to be at least drinkable lol

Well a little update. I bottled it the other day and it seemed ok. Tasted quite hoppy though. Can really smell the cascade hops in it.I tasted it before bottling an it was ok. Bit strong for my taste right now but hopefully it tastes better in a few weeks.

Was a weird brew that hopefully turns out.

image-3236719263.jpg

Even though this recipe seemed like a disaster, I finally opened one up to try and see how bad it would be and I got a hop kick to the face and it was actually pretty good. Tasted like flying monkey dark hop ale. Will let it sit for more then try again. Summer beer with friends for sure. Post pics soon.

I like it but I like most crazy different beers. Good thing I guess.

Back