Trial and error For a new person

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redpappy

Reaction score
I will be attempting my first 1Gal BIAB next week. So I have been looking around at receipes and thought about trying this one from NB.

Original
7.5 lbs English Marris Otter
.25 lbs English chocolate malt
.25 Brie’s Carmel 120
.25 Belgian Biscuit
.25 Briess Special Roast.
1 oz Fuggle

This is what I came up with:
1.5 lbs English Marris Otter
.05 lbs of the other grains.
.2 oz fuggle

So my question is, .05 lbs comes up to .8 oz, if I took the specialty grains and added .2 oz ( just to make things a little easier) will the .2 oz make a big difference, or will it just be a minor one? And of course this is on the thought that my calculations are correct.

I will also be doing a SMaSH.
2 lbs American pale 2 row
.1oz cascade 60min
.1oz Cascade 15 min
.1oz Cascade 5 min
Thinking of using S-04

Any suggestions on hops addition times/or quantity.I am planning to trying several different hops to get a better idea on the flavors and aromas that they bring. I did a quick run down on brewers Friend. As I am doing this, will it be beneficial to keep the IBUs close, or the quantity’s the same...ie This batch .1 cascade, next batch using .1 fuggle ( which will give me different IBU)

For the Maris Otter beer, you can go ahead and add the full ounce of each. It will indeed turn out a little darker and roastier than intended by whoever wrote the recipe, so it is totally up to you whether that bothers you or not. Ignoring style, I believe it would make a very tasty beer either way.

For the SMASH beer.... if you want an American pale ale, you need about double the hops. Otherwise it will be a blonde ale, which is very tasty too but not as hoppy. Looks like a good recipe either way. SMASH beers are a very good way to learn about ingredients. Enjoy.

One thing you might think of when doing 1 gallon batches or small batches is to convert lbs to grams. I know its an extra step, but you will get more precise measurements that way. I'm still learning about grains, so I really can't help you with your recipes though.

One thing you might think of when doing 1 gallon batches or small batches is to convert lbs to grams. I know its an extra step, but you will get more precise measurements that way. I'm still learning about grains, so I really can't help you with your recipes though.

Good idea. I do this sometimes, especially for small hop additions.

Thanks for the feed back. I didn’t think about going to grams, but I also wasn’t thinking of precision. But the more I think about, I do need to be precise for this.

It's just the chemist in me, but then again I'm used to weighing things out to 0.0001g at work.

Back