Torpedo keg o ring getting torn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithchar526

Reaction score
I got a couple new torpedo kegs and on at least one liquid side o ring is getting ripped up from putting the disconnect on and off. I’ll have to check the other one once it’s empty. The disconnect is pretty hard to put on for some reason. Any one else have problems with the standard black plastic disconnects on these? Are the insides of the gas and liquid disconnects different. Perhaps I mixed up the inside parts for the gas and liquid?

I’m going to need to replace the o-ring already and I’ve only filled and used it 3 times so figure there has to be something wrong. Might just order the stain steel ones that torpedo sells

[edit - totally missed important detail]

Are you using any kind of lubrication on the post O-rings - like even water if not keg lube?

Cheers!

[edit - totally missed important detail]

Are you using any kind of lubrication on the post O-rings - like even water if not keg lube?

Cheers!

I haven’t been but there is normally a little star San on it. I’ll start using the keg lube.

I found a bunch of o-rings I forgot I had and after swapping it’s working fine now, must have just been a bad o-ring from the start. But good point about the lube

Keg lube is a must, otherwise you will mangle your O-rings. Also the gas post will work on the liquid out side, but not vice versa (IIRC) so not sure if possibly reversing them may have contributed. I have 3 torpedo kegs all with about 5 uses each and no O-ring problems to date.

Keg lube is a must, otherwise you will mangle your O-rings. Also the gas post will work on the liquid out side, but not vice versa (IIRC) so not sure if possibly reversing them may have contributed. I have 3 torpedo kegs all with about 5 uses each and no O-ring problems to date.

I’ll start using it, thanks. Yeah I know o can’t use liquid disconnects on a gas post, was just curious if the inside parts of a liquid and gas disconnect are the same or not as when I pulled all my stuff out of storage I just cleaned and parts broken down in the same container and didn’t know which part came from what disconnect. I think they are the same but wasn’t sure.

Back