Too much water but high OG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where_the_Redfern_Brews

Reaction score
So I drank too much while brewing an extract chocolate milk stout and ended up with a bit over 5 gallons in my primary. The OG read as 1.052 vs the expected 1.045 which is odd to me, anything to worry about? I also forgot to pull the liquid yeast out of the fridge and pitched it cold but the brew started bubbling within 24 hours and is going strong. Anyways, I think I'm fine but does anyone have any idea as to why my OG would be higher with too much water?

Happens to me all the time...Numbers are just Numbers.. What did you use to calculate them?...Could be your crush and or fresh malted grains were just perfect this time. Or a number of things.
That's great efficiency just the same, so take it with a big smile..:) You may find out you can cut out an ounce or 3 of base malt next time because of it and save a bit on every batch.

FWIW May batch today was .008 over as well. Over is good...under is bad.

Happens to me all the time...Numbers are just Numbers.. What did you use to calculate them?...Could be your crush and or fresh malted grains were just perfect this time. Or a number of things.
That's great efficiency just the same, so take it with a big smile..:) You may find out you can cut out an ounce or 3 of base malt next time because of it and save a bit on every batch.

FWIW May batch today was .008 over as well. Over is good...under is bad.

Lol, this was my first batch since early 2013 so I used a kit (that's where my OG number came from, Brewers Best Chocolate Milk Stout). I am really not too worried but still seems odd that my OG is high with an extra 1/3 or so gallon of water.

I really need to drink session beers when brewing going forward, a 10% DIPA was not a good choice!

So I drank too much while brewing an extract chocolate milk stout and ended up with a bit over 5 gallons in my primary. The OG read as 1.052 vs the expected 1.045 which is odd to me, anything to worry about? I also forgot to pull the liquid yeast out of the fridge and pitched it cold but the brew started bubbling within 24 hours and is going strong. Anyways, I think I'm fine but does anyone have any idea as to why my OG would be higher with too much water?

I had the same in my last brew where my efficiency translated as 85% seeing I hadn't converted all my starch to sugar. As it is insoluble I imagine thats were the extra 5% came from, that and the hop resin I transported into the fermenter by squeezing all the wort out of the hops.

After you take your next sample you could place a small amount in a glass and hang it over a lamp light to see if you have any unwantedables floating around. This will show you the clarity as that extra gravity could be due to proteins.

If its looking not too cloudy then hey presto, you did well and you can always add more water if it comes out too rich/strong.

Seeing as this was extract, I'm guessing your top up water wasn't stirred completely. This can throw off readings either high or low. I'm guessing your OG was ACTUALLY a bit low.

Seeing as this was extract, I'm guessing your top up water wasn't stirred completely. This can throw off readings either high or low. I'm guessing your OG was ACTUALLY a bit low.

This seems logical, thanks! Regardless I'm just letting this batch hang out until I rack it to secondary and see how it goes.

I dont start drinking on brewdays until im In fermenters and beginning to clean up. Otherwise additions get messy and my desire to properly clean up diminishes.

Bless your patience, I lack that! Next brew day I will only drink session beers during the first couple of hours. ;)

Well I racked my stout to secondary today so I could add the chocolate nibs and it tastes fine. The SG was at 1.022 and the FG is supposed to be 1.010-1.015 so I think I am fine. Turns out I didn't add as much water as I thought, the krausen made it look higher up in my bucket I guess.

Here is what it looked like..

image.jpg

Back