Adjusting Gravity Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Langerz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a Blonde Ale this weekend. I've brewed about half a dozen batches so far and other than the first batch (learning experience) I've done a pretty good job nailing OG. I had a bit of an issue this weekend though and have a question on adjusting.

A little background to help with the question... I took a preboil reading (let the sample cool to room temp). The calculated target preboil was 1.041 and the reading was 1.030. I thought that was a bit weird but did two things to try to adjust. 1) I extended the boil to boil off a bit more water (I typically make my batches a bit oversized anyway so not a big deal) and 2) I added a bit of DME. Basically used calculators to find the balance of each to get to the target OG of 1.046.

After the boil I took another reading and it was 1.057. Looking into what I did with extra boil time and DME pretty much accounts for the difference. I'm assuming I just got a bad preboil reading of something and I was actually fine out of the gate.

I know I can add water to get closer to the volume and OG I wanted originally. I don't care too much about the higher ABV. This beer was a trial run on my first time kegging. Wanted something simple in case I screw something up there. I would like a little bit more volume just to make sure I fill up the keg if possible. I currently have about 5.25 gallons in the fermenter and with trub I'm guessing I'll end up a little short of a full corny keg.

My question is there a point where I can't add water any more? Yesterday while brewing I had resigned myself to just letting it go and pitched yeast. This morning there is a decent amount of krausen building. I assume ideally it would have adjusted prior to pitching but curious if I could still add water now. It's not a very hoppy beer so I'm not too worried about oxidation. I would assume it's best to boil the water for a bit before adding if I do. There's a good chance I'll just let it go but more of a curiosity question to help me understand.

I can't think of anytime when you can't add water from beginning to mash to bottling time.

After the fermentation is started you might want to boil the water and cool it to try and get as much dissolved O2 out of it as is possible. Though I'm not certain that boiling will do that.

After the fermentation is started you might want to boil the water and cool it to try and get as much dissolved O2 out of it as is possible. Though I'm not certain that boiling will do that.

Boiling definitely drives off the O2. OTOH, as soon as the water begins to cool, it starts to reabsorb O2. Unless using some sort of LODO technique, I personally wouldn't add water to finished beer.

Many of us do add water to our finished beer as part of our priming solution.

Is it common that some just add sugar crystals straight to the beer and mix to dissolve?

Many of us do add water to our finished beer as part of our priming solution.
True, but that water is boiled and then fermented, both of which reduce dissolved O2.

At any rate, the beer in question just started fermenting so it's nowhere near "finished." If I was going to add water at this point I would definitely boil it, but that would be to avoid infection more than to avoid O2.

Where did you collect your sample? From the output of the mash or from the kettle pre-boil?

If you took it directly from the mash tun you got whatever was coming out at that point. The first runnings are always the strongest, and it gets less toward the end as you sparge. If you took it from the kettle, be sure to thoroughly stir the kettle every time before you take a gravity sample. Specific gravity - the first runnings being heavier will sink to the bottom and the later lighter runnings will kind of float on top.

There is also a temp correction factor for your hydrometer reading. Look to see what yours is calibrated at - it should be on the paper it came with. Some are calibrated at 60F some are 70F. Then you measure the temp of your sample and adjust accordingly:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/hydrometer-temp/

Where did you collect your sample? From the output of the mash or from the kettle pre-boil?

If you took it directly from the mash tun you got whatever was coming out at that point. The first runnings are always the strongest, and it gets less toward the end as you sparge. If you took it from the kettle, be sure to thoroughly stir the kettle every time before you take a gravity sample. Specific gravity - the first runnings being heavier will sink to the bottom and the later lighter runnings will kind of float on top.

There is also a temp correction factor for your hydrometer reading. Look to see what yours is calibrated at - it should be on the paper it came with. Some are calibrated at 60F some are 70F. Then you measure the temp of your sample and adjust accordingly:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/hydrometer-temp/
I use BIAB. I took the sample from the wort in the kettle prior to boiling. Cooled it until it was between 60-70 (I wasn't super precise but the adjustment in that range isn't more than a point from what I've seen (probably within the range of my eyes ability to read a hydrometer lol).

Not sure why it was as off as it was with out being able to go back in time and try it again. My memory says I put the sample in the fridge and cooled it to between 60-70 and also put the hydrometer in and out a couple times to make sure it was reading right. Maybe I got caught up in the brew day and that wasn't the case though.

I decided to just let it go as is. This brew was to have something on tap for an upcoming family event that is more friendly to a broader number of people. Having less volume so hopefully they kick that keg to be available for something else isn't a bad thing ;).

Latest posts

Back