Too much nutrition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonbones

Reaction score
So after some years and a couple stuck fermentations I've fixed, is it possible to add too much yeast nutrient while brewing?

The Wyeast beer nutrient suggests 1/2 teaspoon for 5 gallons and the yeast hulls I buy suggest 1 tsp for 5 gallons.

Some time ago I brewed a Chimay Grand Reserve clone that came out pretty well in OG, but the fermentation stuck at about 67% attenuation. After doing some dextrose and nutrient add magic, fermentation kick started again and got up to about 87.5% attenuation.

For the big brews should I just add more nutrients in the beginning outside of the label recommendations to prevent the stuck ferment in the first place? Is it possible to add too much and what are the side effects of that? Is there such thing as too much? Thoughts?

You should add a little extra nutrient for bigger beers, but that's one of several things you should be doing (high pitch rate, o2 volumes, temp control). Yeast nutrient is good, but definitely not the be all and end all of good fermentation / attenuation.

So instead of following the listed recommendations on the bottle, what's a more accurate scale of how much to add per OG and what (if possible) is too much?

I'm curious to know if it would hurt me any to just dump an assload in there if I plan on doing a huge OG brew. Is there such thing as too much?

Latest posts

Back