Too much head CAN be a bad thing!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonbolen

Reaction score
So I've been kegging for over a year now, and have a kegerator with 3 corny capacity and a triple manifold handling my CO2. I've had little to no problems until this recent batch.

Here's my problem: I kegged an ale and a porter into cornys, connected to gas and set my gas to 25psi for 6 days. Then I dropped my gas down to 12psi, purged a little off each corny to stabilize at 12psi and was ready to pour. All of this is exactly as I've done time and again.

I'm used to my first few pints being a little foamy and having to adjust my regulator a bit to dial in the perfect pressure, but this time I'm having a HELL of a time getting the beer to pour without a massive amount of head and foam.

I've readjusted the regulator a few times, I've let the kegs sit for a day or two in between pours, but I'm STILL getting massive head.

Any ideas or fixes lurking out there?

Thanks!

I am thinking that you over carbed the beer by placing it at 25psi. With 25psi @ 40*F you will get about ~3.6 volumes. I have a feeling that because the beer is so carbonated, that when you are pulling a pint a lot of CO2 is coming out of solution in the lines causing massive foam issues.

too much head??? depends on where it's coming from or who it's coming from but with beer well I agree you might have over carbed. Relieve the pressure and then let the beer build up the keg pressure then do it again. Might just solve your problem.

So if I understand correctly, disconnect my gas line and bleed the keg's headspace, then let it recarb with it's own internal gas? How long should I leave it off of the CO2?

So if I understand correctly, disconnect my gas line and bleed the keg's headspace, then let it recarb with it's own internal gas? How long should I leave it off of the CO2?

Until it's not overcarbed- probably a few days as you keep bleeding out the excess pressure each time you think of it.

I'm surprised this hasn't happened before- at 25 psi, any beer would be overcarbed after about 36-48 hours.

You could try disconnecting the gas and periodically venting it. If you want to try and speed it up you could gently rock it to pull more CO2 out, but that could be a determinant to head and head retention.

I've done this with all of my ales and have never had an issue. Guess I just got lucky! Thanks for the tips!

Back