Too much from from a specific keg.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockstar55667

Reaction score
I have this ball lock keg (used), that I've used twice. The first time I used it the beer was really really foamy...I attributed it to user error (too much gas). So it came time to use the keg again, and it is still way too foamy, not over carbonated, its just the foam when it is first poured. Once the foam dissipates it is fine.

I know its not a c02 issue because I have a dual tap kegerator and my other 2 kegs don't give me this issue. I took the keg out and opened the tap, and it makes almost like a wheezing or hissing sound when I call for beer.

What could be the cause of this? Bad O Rings? I cant tell now, because the keg is full of delicious beer, but I'm wondering if I need a new keg or it could be the rings.

Remove the Out post, pull the long dip tube, and take a close look at the small O-ring under the dip tube flange. If that O-ring is damaged it can cause major foamage...

Cheers!

do you also have the recommended length / id of beer line? If it doesn't have enough reverse pressure on the beer it can cause foaming. I can't remember the length, but I remember being shocked by how long it was.

do you also have the recommended length / id of beer line? If it doesn't have enough reverse pressure on the beer it can cause foaming. I can't remember the length, but I remember being shocked by how long it was.

I'd check the length first. It should be somewhere around 7 to 10 ft. Easiest thing to check and doesn't take much effort or money to swap out. Goodluck!

"I took the keg out and opened the tap, and it makes almost like a wheezing or hissing sound when I call for beer."

That's not line length talking, that's a bad o-ring under the Out dip tube flange, allowing CO2 to pass directly from the keg head space into the beer stream at the post...

Cheers!

Back