Too long in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indiana Red

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My batch #1 has been sitting in primary for 10 days as of tonight. I would say that activity has been down to rackable levels for probly 5 days now.
Am I getting into autolysis territory yet? I am still accumulating bits and pieces of equipment as I go along and today will be getting racking aparatus and another airlock for my 5gal secondary.
I should be good after almost a week too long in primary right?
OG was 1.065 and I have not taken a reading since.

Thanks

You'll be fine. Ideally you rack it after about a week, but in reality, it's not going to cause much problem. I have left mine in the primary for weeks before out of laziness or business or whatever. The beer may not be as clear or as clean tasting, but it's really no big deal. Minor difference, especially with only 10 days. I frequently go two weeks if I skip a brewing weekend.

Longer secondary times will help flavors no matter what, so do at least 2 weeks in the secondary. Longer is better.

Cheers :D

in this colder weather i leave the beer in primary for two weeks, and like janx i've left a batch on the yeast longer cause i didn't want to rack outta laziness, or because it was a non-brew weekend.

I've left batches in primary for well over a month before. I wouldn't worry about autolysis or off flavors at all. Takes a loooooong time for yeast to die and explode.

Honestly, I feel that as long as you do a good job of sanitizing, and a half-way (read, not drunk) competant control over the brew-session, that you'll turn out OK. Short of sneezing or farting directly into the fermentor, I find it difficult to ruin a batch.

Don't worry about it..... At the VERY least it will be drinkable.

On one of my big beers I had activity for over 18 days so no big deal. When I started out I didn't have a secondary I just left it for two weeks and bottled. Nothing big for ten days.

I jsut had the samething happen with my porter... it ended up sitting in the primary for about 10 days instead of my normal 1 week... I am not too worried about it, since a lot of people dont even use a secondary and jsut let it sit on the primary for a longer time and then bottle... good luck though...

Jester

I left mine in the primary for 1 year and the beer tastes very good. When I first started I used normal beer yeast but the wort still tasted sweet after 2 weeks so I added champaign yeast, I then left on holidays and forgot about it. I also repitched the yeast and I'm waiting to see what this beer will taste like. I wouldn't worry about autolysis.

Latest posts

Back