Too Acidic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel1980

Reaction score
I made my first batch according to the Caramel Apple Cider recipe found under this topic. It called to back sweeten with 5 cans of concentrate. The taste is really good but I'm getting bad heartburn after only 2 pints of this stuff. Any ideas on an alternate back-sweetening that would be less acidic? Doesn't even have to be apple flavor, just less acidic.

Ok thanks. I rarely read that far into a thread unless I've been keeping up with it as it progresses.
Any other ideas for flavoring? My wife wasn't really a big fan of that and she's mainly why I'm doing cider. (She's hard to please so don't take it personal) Also is there a certain amount of time you should bottle condition that recipe to get to the "optimal" flavor? I know that's more of an opinion than a measurement but since I assume you are the op I would think you probably have that one down pretty good.

Any other ideas for flavoring? My wife wasn't really a big fan of that and she's mainly why I'm doing cider. (She's hard to please so don't take it personal)
You could always backsweeten with Dextrose or another sugar.

Also is there a certain amount of time you should bottle condition that recipe to get to the "optimal" flavor? I know that's more of an opinion than a measurement but since I assume you are the op I would think you probably have that one down pretty good.

Let it bottle condition for at least a month. the flavor greatly improves. :D

If you are carbing up in the bottle, keep an eye on them. They will carb fast and will probably need to be pasteurized 3 - 5 days after bottling.

Back