Tonsil stones...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_c_zero

Reaction score
Here I am with more complaining, but does anyone else out there suffer from tonsil stones? If so, how do you deal with them?

I had tonsil stones several years back for several months -- horrible experience.

After going to 4+ doctors, prescriptions out the ass, and months of pain/bad breath, and finally getting a tonsillectomy scheduled, an Australian gamer-friend of mine suggested a neti pot.

Used the neti pot a few times a day with warm saline, cleared within a week.

Had tonsil stones for years in high school, it was rough. The doctors were pretty useless on this topic. Had one the size of an almond once, following the doctors advice to gargle and leave them alone...

Finally got a tonsillectomy changed life for the better and I am sick much less often now as well. The neti pot might be worth a try.

I get the sometimes. Luckily, my tonsils are like swiss cheese from the many infections when I was younger. I can take a dull dental pick and dig them out.

I have been meaning to get a neti pot anyway, so that might help. The doctor said that sinus issues can create them. Something about the drainage.

Hmm, never thought a neti pot would work for tonsil stones, may be worth a shot. I've always been afraid of a tonsillectomy, so I've avoided that option like a plague. I get them quite regularly, but luckily they're pretty small and I can dig them out with my tongue. They are probably one of the most annoying things in my life though. I bought a water pik recently, but that thing makes me bleed every time I try to blast them out, so I don't use it anymore. I do gargle with alcohol mouthwash, but doesn't seem to do much. I've heard of gargling with an oxygenated mouthwash, but haven't tried it yet.

I tried every mouthwash on the planet when I was going through it. I think the infection from the tonsils creeps up unto the sinuses where the continuously drains back onto the tonsils so even when you mouthwash, a few hours later you'll still have your sinuses draining the infection back onto the tonsils so you get a circular infection.

Definitely give the neti pot a shot -- I did it years ago and haven't had a recurrence since *knock on wood*

I just think it's funny a guy I've never met 1000's of miles away solved a medical problem that doctors with 50+ years of combined experience couldn't even touch.

My wife and I get tonsil stones too, usually small. Sometimes there's a few, other times just one. They smell like $hit.

I do have sinus issues, what appears to be an alergy, but there's no consistency with the tonsil stones. I can't see anywhere to "dig them out" and usually spit them out when I feel something stuck in my throat.

Just found Tonsillolith:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsillolith

And if you're interested in seeing videos ...
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tonsil+stone&aq=f

Used to get them and just dig them out. I used to eat a ton of cashews and that's when I would get them. Guess food particles would get stuck and other stuff would accumulate. They are disgusting. Haven't had them in years. *knocks on wood*

Eep! I hate these things. I get one a few times a year. I usually spend 20 minutes gagging in from of the mirror trying to knock it loose. I think last time I decided a cotton swab works best.

I dig a few out every couple of weeks, usually when I can feel them or even worse, taste them. They seem to be worse in the morning than anything else.

I just knocked one loose a few minutes ago. I was browsing the general thread and found this post and here I am. I have a neti pot at my fiances apartment, I'll have to give that a shot and see how it works. I've noticed with these stones, I cannot eat popcorn anymore. That is where I get in the most trouble, with the kernels getting logged in the crypts or little crevices. I really hate these things, would like to get my tonsils out but, not really looking forward to that recovery. So I guess for now, I'll keep fighting them!

Back