Keeping Fads Alive

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agent

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Our club recently served at a beerfest, and went with a food theme to stand out (for better or worse).

I decided to resuscitate the 2010s fad of Bacon Beer. I'd never made one before either, so perfect time to kill two birds with one stone.

Turns out, folks are still all in on novelty beers in limited quantity. I served out nearly the entirety of my keg 2-3oz at a time.

The carrots and rice lager did not receive similar fan-fare though....

So, anyone else still dabbling in styles that are out of vogue?

Not me, but I have been at homebrew events and tasted hot pepper beer and other rarities.
See my tap #1! I loove this beer.

1707774420021.png

I made a smoked maple porter last year where I smoked the malt myself to capture the “bacon”-esque flavor from my smoker.

I also used a habanero tincture in my portion of a group brew recently.

I’m still big on Black IPA. That one’s pretty much gone it seems.

Bacon Beer. How do you get the bacon flavor into it?
I tried to smoke four lbs of base malt for that extra pizzazz, but it was a rushed non-success.

The one pound of cooked bacon tinctured in a pint of vodka certainly did the trick though. The extract worked so well that the vodka was pure smokey, salty bacon essence and the bacon was like vodka flavored tofu.

Once upon a time I was into the "flavor of the day", or what you might call fad beers.

Thankfully, I have outgrown that phase.

I'm trying to keep fads alive. I have 2 really weird ones on tap right now that you won't hardly find anymore. 1 is a "Dry Irish Stout", and the other is a "Hefeweizen". Maybe more of "endangered species", with all the funky beers out there. Back to the basics for me...
C'mon man, those styles are a couple hundred years past their heyday. It's okay to let them fade into the night!

Back