to sparkle or not to sparkle, the cider question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schadelh

Reaction score
Last year I made a killer batch of sparkling apfelwein (modified edworts recipe). It went over so well, I am planning on doing 2 batches for winter.

I plan to replicate the recipe from last year, and I want to try a new recipe as well.

I was thinking for the new recipe:

5 gal unpasteurized apple cider
2 # dark brown sugar
cinnimon sticks (I was thinking 10?) boiled in 1 gal of cider for 30 min
5 whole cloves added to primary fermenter

Probably use some sort of medium attenuation english ale yeast (open to suggestions)

My biggest concern was whether to bottle carbonate it, or leave it flat. I don't have any tasting experience with flat hard ciders, however I feel a spiced cider might be really good warm, but only if it is flat. What is everyone's opinion on this one?

Last year I made a killer batch of sparkling apfelwein (modified edworts recipe). It went over so well, I am planning on doing 2 batches for winter.

I plan to replicate the recipe from last year, and I want to try a new recipe as well.

2 # dark brown sugar
cinnimon sticks (I was thinking 10?) boiled in 1 gal of cider for 30 min

Probably use some sort of medium attenuation english ale yeast (open to suggestions)

My biggest concern was whether to bottle carbonate it, or leave it flat. I don't have any tasting experience with flat hard ciders, however I feel a spiced cider might be really good warm, but only if it is flat. What is everyone's opinion on this one?

half and half

2 # dark brown sugar
Cinnamon sticks (I was thinking 10?) boiled in 1 gal of cider for 30 min

I'd try it flat. I did an experiment just like this that has been sitting for a few months but I added a few things like vanilla, atomic fireballs(hard candy)nutmeg, Cinnamon sticks, and most recently caramel. I've racked it several times with the different additions. gonna go flat and see what happens. looking back I wish I used an ale yeast instead of a champaign yeast, last sample was a little too dry for me

Back